6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 4:40 PM by Glenn Parks

Database size consideration SmarTeam vs Enterprise

Glenn Parks

We have seen demos on both SmarTeam and Enterprise PDM. The group is really impressed by the Enterprise offering for it's simplicity and ease of use. We have been told that we would be more impressed by the Enterprise offering but that the software would run into future problems as the size of our database grew. We currently have around 40,000 SW Cad files being managed poorly by our PDMWorks software, and would like to bring into the new Enterprise system about 150,000 items from our ERP system as well as a about 50,000 other various PDF, Excel, Word, etc. data files. Naturally, the SW Cad files take up the largest amount of storage space, at this time around 110GB.

Does anyone else currently use Enterprise with a comparable database, have you had any problems? Initially we are looking at about 50 users scattered worldwide.  I just want to find out if we are looking at near term problems with Enterprise or if I am getting incorrect information on the limitations of Enterprise?

• Re: Database size consideration SmarTeam vs Enterprise
          Todd Puckett

No problems with the database so far.

We have about 50 users worldwide.  Our file vault has 700,000 documents (dwg, pdf, doc, xls, etc.) totalling 511 Gb, our actual SQL database is 5 Gb.

The database is run on Microsoft SQL Server, which has more to do with memory and processor.  We have upgraded our database server every 3 yrs to keep up with the newer versions of SQL.  Presently we are running SQL server 2005 x64 on Windows Server 2003 x64.  This is a virtual server with 2 processors and 6 Gb RAM currently allocated, it can be increased if needed but has been running well for the last 2 years.

Hope this is helpful,

Todd Puckett

Corey Vantilborg

Glenn,

Its interesting to me the different usage cases. 

Our Vaults stats are:  371000 archives(90% Solidworks Files) taking up about 810gb, and a 2gb SQL server.

I think our performance is still very good. Complete searches run in around 10 seconds, by limiting the search criteria the majority of our searches run in under 5. 

Our biggest performance complaint is the time it takes to build references trees for the various actions.

However performance is very dependent on the hardware and infrastructure you run Enterprise on.

Corey V

Raymond Pearson

Glenn,

I can't speak about EPDM performance, but I can speak about SmarTeam.

SmarTeam is not exactly a performance jugernault, and some would say the performance is poor.

Expect extremly poor support unless the VAR is very good. SmarTeam does not support their VARs well, so the VAR has to be experts.

Expect to be held back on SW versions by 12 - 18 months. SmarTeam still has not support 64 2010.

The future of both SmarTeam and EPDM (but especialy SmarTeam) is unclear as Dassault wants to migrate everyone to V6. V6 is based on Matrix One, (Dassault's other PDM aquisition).

Doug Liles

Glenn,

I hope (and would be interested to know if) you went with Enterprise.  I can tell you after using 3 different PDM products with SW.  Smarteam is by far the worst.  The interface is horrible!!!  It is a colossal time wasting turd.  We currently use it at my company and it has cost us plenty of time, money, and tears. 

Sorry for the rant,

Doug

Glenn Parks

Yes, we did go with Enterprise PDM. It has not been without headaches and we did use a third party to assist in setting up workflows, etc, that was an experience in itself. Some of the issues were created by us changing our path midway through the project and wanting to add fairly complex controls on drawing signoffs, and some were with communication since offshore sourcing was utilized, but on the whole it has been successful. We are still going though the day to day improvements. Certainly better than one of the others that we tried that I will not mention, and it was not SmartTeam.