7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 4:34 AM by Jean-Baptiste Bouckaert

Square Bottles

James Moynagh

First post on here so hello to all. I was just wondering if anyone out there could help me. I work for a glass bottle company. We manufacture glass bottles and jars. Most off our jobs are simple round shaped bottles but we do make some complex shapes. Firstly does anyone out there have much experience with modeling bottles in Solidworks? Secondly I'm trying to model up a square bottle but I haven't been given much information as regards profiles and dimension, just the basic height and width. I have sketched up the side and front profiles however I'm having problems as I need to have the corner profiles in order for the bottle to model up correctly. I was just wondering if there is any way  off getting a true projection off what the corner profile would be. I have tried using Project curve but this does not give me the desired result.

• Re: Square Bottles
          Deepak Gupta

Though this might not be what you looking for but do check these posts by Matt Lombard, great stuff on modeling bottles

http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=2291

http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=2168

And I believe you need to look into using loft or sweep to model your bottle. Can you post some picture or more details (what ever is available) so that someone can give it a shot.

Steve Calvert

Deepak is right James, take a look at Matt's blog.  It sounds if though you're thinking 2D.  SW has features that will model a bottle.

Steve

How about a Klein bottle...

KLEIN BOTTLE1.png

Jean-Baptiste Bouckaert

Dear James,

There are thousand and one ways to design square bottles and each shaped bottle has his own approach.

1st Always do them in surfacing it is a lot more powerfull. Most of them you can model in solid but once you start in solid you are stuck to stay in solid.

2nd do a wire frame of your bottle sketch the narrow way and wide way then the horizontal sections and section on the mould parting line.

I do the narrow and wide way in one sketch so i can capture the design intent a lot easier

3rd make an extruded surface of your vertical section and copy them with a polar array. I always copy the geometry in new sketches so that my skeleton sketches do not end up hidden in some feature and i have to search for them for in features to change may design.

4th delete the surfaces you do not need

5th model your bottle with surfaces and select the geometrie of the vertical surfaces

6th knit your surfaces and make a solid

7th delete your construction surfaces

You will see you have total control of your design with changing the dimension in the first sketch and you get a robust model for modifications.

See attached model.

But there is many more like wall thickness finish construction preparing your model for sinkage and shrinkage for mould design.

James Moynagh

Jean-Baptiste,

Thank you for your reply, it is of great help. I hadn't really considered modeling up the bottle with the construction surfaces/sketches as you have done it. Hopefully soon I will get a chance to attempt modeling up a bottle. Before this I tried making it all in the one surface where possible but that was asking too much of solidworks in most cases. The idea of placing the major and minor sketches on the one sketch was very interesting and a good idea.

If I my ask one question, as many bottles have label panels, some my be on 2 faces, some on 4 faces depending on the bottle, but how do you think is the best way to approach label panels, would you include in the origionial construction or would you ahve a seperate label panel construction you subtract from the basic/blank model? Or is it a case as you seid in your post each one has its own approach?

Jean-Baptiste Bouckaert

James,

Keep it simple. Never look at the bottle shape in its whole. Try to disect the bottle in features before you start.

Attached is a sample of an easy eyebrow but again there are plenty of types of eyebrows (happy and sad ones, constant depth ones and etc...). You can do it in solid or  surface depending on the complexity.

I have seen on of your mails that you are asking if it is possible to change finishes on bottles. Yes it is possible.

If you have the finish in your library a finish swap should not take more then 20 minutes.

With this i mean changing the article,  layout, mould, mould cavity, blank, blank cavity, neckring, neckring cavity, guidplate, and plunger drawing.

If your library part is wel set-up it will change all neck diameters plug bore and match diameters automatically.

At the same time you can quickly check wall thickness, brimfull, level full, layout volume and fill height blank

The movie shows a finish swap in real time with generating new drawings.

Skip the first 35 sec of the movie nothing happens there.