5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 9:34 PM by Danielle Ohallisey

Display dual dimensions with " instead of in

Danielle Ohallisey

I guess the name says it all; I have a client who wants to have inch dimensions shown (as dual dimension), but wants the suffix ' " ' instead of the abbreviation 'in'.  (Sorry for the mess; I put a single apostrophe on each side of each abbreviation).  Anyway, it seems that the default is that if you have fractional display the suffix is ' " ' but with decimal it is 'in'.  Anyone know where and how to reset this, for a particular document?

Thanks,

Danielle

• Re: Display dual dimensions with " instead of in
          Kelvin Lamport

There is no option in SW for that, and no recognised standards advocate it. Leastways, no mechanical CAD design standards that I know of.

You may be able to use dimension Favorites to get what you want though.

Message was edited to keep Matt happy  ;o)

Matthew Lorono

I'm not sure that "no" recognized standard supports the ".  I believe it is standard in archetechual circles, though I don't know what related standards apply.

Danielle Ohallisey

Well, it appears to be built into the ANSI standards to us the " symbol when a fractional measurement is displayed.  I'd be happier if we got on with using the metric system altogether, inches being confined to the US and Liberia, and noplace else.  But in the meantime this is obviously defined in some standards file, somewhere; there must be a way to do it.  

~Danielle

Matthew Lorono

hehe, your one of "those" people.   Besides, it's a myth that the "world" is 100% metric.  Miles is still common in several countries, even if used informally.  There's a lot of Inch history in places that converted over (Britian still has many drawings in inch and conversion is apparently not happening all that quickly).  Individual industries still use their own standards regardless to metric.  In France the pipe standard is NPT sizing, not the ISO standard that was meant to replace it.  And the metric system itself has some goofy exceptions to its own rules, like the metric ton, hectar, etc.  ...and don't get a true metric zealot started about the treatment of the liter in the metric system.  ...oh, and how does one spell meter/metre again?  

Danielle Ohallisey

Okay, you not only made me chuckle at myself, you also sort of made my point.  Since so many people/places end up using legacy standards and parochial detailing methods, why should it be so hard to change "in" to ' " '?  (I can see, by the way, why it makes sense to prefer inches; we all have twelve toes and twelve fingers, so it's only, uh, it's uh....)

I did export a standards file in hopes of being able to hack my way to specification glory, but the file is mostly encrypted.  At the end of the day I only do what my clients want; would measure things in "Smoots" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot) if the guy writing the check asks for it.

:%^)

DO'H!