9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 7:33 PM by 1-E9PSO0

Dual Monitors - set to different resolution: not supported?

Brian Lindahl

I've been having some peculiar graphics going on mainly when in the Hole Wizard, with the "positions" tab active (when previewing the point locations).  I get some rectangular boxes around any sketch entities.  I've got it on Rx several times, and have been working with my VAR, and they have passed this on to SolidWorks direct.  I think the hardware is on its last leg, and on its way out, but none the less, I've been working through the VAR, letting them know my thoughts and seeing my display.  Today I get this in an email from my VAR, who is just passing along the information she got from SW:

The customer has two monitors in use with different resolutions; this is not supported (S-039747), so let's see if that is causing this behavior.

1. Please have the customer, with the 2010 driver in use, disable the secondary monitor and then see if this is reproducible with only one monitor.

I have a ViewSonic capable of 1680 x 1050, and an HP capable of 1280 x 1024, and have run both at max resolution for about the past 2 years.  Are others out there running dual monitors that have different resolution?  "Not supported"????  You've got to be kidding me?

• Re: Dual Monitors - set to different resolution: not supported?
          John Layne

For a few years I had a one monitor at 1024x768 and the other at 1600x1200 with no problems, this was back on SolidWorks 2007.

Currently running two at he same resolution again with no problems 1920x1200 on SolidWorks 2009.

I am planning to upgrade in the next few months to a new PC and SolidWorks 2010 and hoping to run one monitor at 1920x1200 and the other at 2560 x 1600. So I would like to see different resolutions supported.

Harold Brunt

I've read where having two different monitors created problems for people in the past but I had not experienced anything until SW2010. I have had to shut off the second monitor and switch to single monitor set-up a few times when the software has auto-selected the Run OpenGL option and then grayed out as if I don't have an approved card. I wasn't wasn't aware that there was a service number associated with the dual monitor issues.

I tried it on SW2009, with a 30" at 2560x1600 and a 19" at 1280x1024.  The idea was to have various other tasks such as mail, or SW help on the second screen.  I remember having a lot of trouble with it, though I can't remember what it was exactly.  I think it caused major graphics issues on the main screen, maybe some random crashes also.  I have not tried it on SW2010.  I also used two identical 19" monitors on another machine, and other than a few minor but frustrating glitches and the typical problems with window management, it was ok.

In any case, next to a 30" the second screen was so far from my field of vision as to actually detract from the effectiveness of the setup rather than enhance.  The ergonomics of actually using the side screen for anything were terrible.  The 30 is such a good screen, I've been using them for about 4 years now, and for the first time in my CAD lifetime (since early 90's) I do NOT want for more screen area, especially in combination with Win7's UI for switching between tasks.  For SW there's no annoying bar down the middle, no clumsy management of tiling or maximising, just 4.1Mp of pure Solidworks screen area.  They're not cheap, but in my experience worth every penny.

So in one of those Top Gear style conclusions, I would say that the best dual monitor setup is a single 30". :-)

Cheers

Steve

Derek Bishop

I'm running SW on dual monitors with different resolutions and am very interested to hear more about this issue. I've heard it mentioned in the past on the forum but never anything official from my VAR or SW. Over the years I've had a variety of graphical issues but have not noticed any significant improvement with one monitor off.

Thanks for letting us know.

Darren Marchant

Hi

I used to run 2 monitors, of different makes, sizes and resolutions. I had regular display problems.

Now I run 2 identical monitors at identical resolutions (Viewsonic 2250 at 1680x1050) with no problems through a Quadro FX580.

2 monitors are great because I run SW on the main monitor and almost everything else on the second.. email, IE, WE, xl and ACAD.

It also gives me the option to spread things out and tile 1 screen while maximising the other.

My second screen is also put through a switch box that connects it and my keyboard/mouse etc to a second PC so when this one is busy crunching I go off and work on the other without loosing desk space.

I would hate going back 1 a single screen but would happerly upgrade to a faster graphics card.

Darren.

Mille Bojgaard

ohh.. so this might be the actual reason for all my crashes..? Interesting...

Stuart Moore

24" 1920 x 1200 and 20"1600 x 1200 Quadro FX1700 at home SW 2008, 2009 and 2010 - no problems

24" 1920 x 1200 and 19"1280 x 1024 FirePro V8700 at work SW 2008, 2009 and 2010 - no problems

It seems rediculous to suggest that SW needs both monitors to have the same resolution.

I should clarify, my major (lockups, crashes, unrecoverable redraw etc) problems with dual non identical monitors was using an FX3500 & SW2009.

My minor problems using dual identical monitors was with FX570, and prior to that some old 3DLabs card, various releases from about SW2005-2009.

I don't think anyone's saying that dual monitors do not work, but in my (pre-SW2010) experience dual identical cause more problems than single, and dual non-identical cause more problems again.  My SW2010 experience on new Win7-64 systems using FX1800's and single big screens has been pleasantly almost trouble-free.

Cheers

Steve