17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 5:01 AM by Kevin De Smet

New 2010 iPhone design

Charles Culp

This Is  Apple's Next iPhone

Gizmodo found a pretty good leak. Sorry Mark, they went all square.

Thanks to Josh Mings for the link!

• Re: New 2010 iPhone design

Wow - I sure wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the Apple employee who lost this - I'd be contemplating asylum in another country!

Regards

Mark

Charles Culp

I point out the iPhone solely based on its aesthetic design, and the surfacing required to produce it, which has been a common topic here and elsewhere. Specifically, the curvy backside which is difficult to model properly, and makes a great example of why C2 curvature is important, and what it means. The new iPhone design will not appear to require C2, and even on the for corners may purposefully be only C1 to increase the "industrial" aesthetic.

I could care less how many thousands of dollars a year you spend on your phone, or why android based phones are better. I own an LG that cost $20 cash (no plan required), and then is ~$7.50/month. I only brought up the subject as it relates to consumer product design.

Hey Charles,

Glad you brought it up. Actually what "makes" an apple product, in general is not whether (and I know you know this)  it has C2 or swoopy but is mostly about the exquisite materials and use of them and the fit and finish of the product in its entirety. I mean, when is the last time you saw an appearance gap on an apple product?  It’s like a few years ago when I went to purchase a new vehicle and I distinctly remember looking at the interiors of Hondas and Nissans as compared to GM and Ford vehicles – the fit and finish were noticeably different (better on the Japanese vehicles.) Apple products are jewel-like and "precious" and the ID's work very hard to conscientiously (or unconscientiously) draw us to the beauty and feel of water and smooth stones.

Regards

Mark

Charles Culp

Prior to working here at Essex, I worked as a "corporate quality analyst" for what was then DaimlerChrysler. I can spot whether a Dodge full-size pickup truck was built in the US (Michigan or St Louis), or built in Mexico from across a parking lot. This is all due to the size and alignment of the gap between the front bumper and the driver's side quarter panel. The Mexican built trucks are typically built within spec (5 mm?). The American assembled bumpers were always off by 3/4".

Americans, et al, have come a long way in the past decade for fit/finish. Fords have the best fit/finish of all non-luxury brands right now, and GM's are good too. I used to say I had the easiest job in the world, finding quality issues on Dodge pickups...

As to Apple, you are correct. It surprised me that they are going away from the aluminum case for the next gen iPhone. I always appreciated Apple's use of aluminum for consumer grade products (although I've never been willing to spend money on it myself). The article also mentions "large gaps that must serve a purpose." I saw that, and assumed that because they were going to a plastic back, they needed gaps for the parts to fit properly, and merely accentuated them to make it a design "feature." Do you (open ended question to the forum) think they needed larger gaps for a plastic body?

Craig Schultz

I think they're going to a glass/plastic back to help with reception.  I know the antenna needs all the help it can get.  I also heard rumors that the battery will be replaceable.  Maybe those two features will knock some haters down a peg or two.  Separating the volume buttons seems like a good idea too, operating the volume and top home (don't know what else to call it) can be sketchy when using a case right now.

Hopefully: replaceable battery, "HD" screen, faster processor/more RAM, and a better camera lens/pixel count.

Hmmmm?: Front facing camera.  I can only imagine how fast the battery will drain doing chat.  (maybe it's just easier self portrait mode....)

John Burrill

I marvel at Apple's ID (and would love a tour of their design department), how finished it is, how concienciously exigent factors like weight, countour, palm feel are incorporated.  It's almost as if they knew the first inclination on discovering the iPhone's crummy reception would be to throw it.

OK, not fair considering the improvements in the 3G iPhone, but when the Macbook Air prooved to a be a $2000 digital photo frame, I'm certain it's ultra-thin design  filled some customers with the urge to feed it into the shredder.

And for the Mac Pro owner who spent $2600 to discover that the machine supports exactly 1 quadro video card (that awful 4500) and no upgrades, he probably thought it's brushed channel chasis with stainless mesh finishing made it a better bait bucket than work station.

And following Steve Job's 'flash sucks and so does anyone who likes it' campaign and the greif patrons have had getting on the internet, I venture that some amoung iPad owners have considered the bevelled cornrers and slate motif as befitting a breif life in an industrial die press.

Kevin De Smet

What I do not understand is why Apple took so much care to make the back smooth and pleasing, but as soon as you put your fingers on it, it is not smudge proof. I don't know if that can be dealt with by using different plastics, but it sure seems like a lack of thought. Which would seem strange to me.

It looks great in the product booths in the shops though. But sort of misleading, at least in my opinion.

Kevin De Smet

Well now it's official. iPhone 4. Sorry Mark, but now I do think it's just a box with fillets

3GS (curvy back, nice)

http://images.apple.com/iphone/why-iphone/images/which-iphone-3gs-20100607.jpg

4 (flat as toast!)

http://images.apple.com/iphone/why-iphone/images/which-iphone-4-20100607.jpg