9 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 6:04 AM by Stefan Kulms

Solidworks Simulation Professional 2010 x64 SP2.1 Issue

After updating from SP 1.0 to SP 2.1, my static studies always fail.  Sometimes, I also get "Database not found" error.  While checking for updates, I am now asked to update to 2009 SP5.1 x64 edition! What could be wrong?

Thanks.

Narayanan

• Re: Solidworks Simulation Professional 2010 x64 SP2.1 Issue
          Fortino Lopez

We've been using the same release for some time now and our static studies seem to work the same as prior to SP2.1. The database error does occur sometimes, but that's probably because we update part revisions within assemblies, so it takes another run before the results are properly reported. Are you also replacing parts/sub-assemblies to your assembly simulations? Do single part simulations also fail? The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to verify that all simulations results, including Design Studies, are pointing to the same directory; there are at least two places to specify this setting.

Thank you for the suggestions.  It is a single part study. 

The Results folder is set us "Solidworks document folder" under Simulation menu >> Default options tab.

The Results folder is also pointed to the actual Solidworks document folder under Study>> Properties...

Each time the part is modified; though meshing is done, the study fails as soon as the Run starts.

The tree nodes for Stress, Displacement and Strain under Results are in a disabled state.  The reason given under "What's wrong..." says "Results files are not available".

The very same part file in my colleague's 32bit PC works fine and the study gets completed!

Stuart Moore
                  I had problems moving to 64 bit.  None of my simulations would run and the only way I could get them to work was to delete them and set them up again.  I also sometimes get the "Database not found" error.  On several occasions, waiting a while after the error message cures the problem and selecting a results file works.
                      Fortino Lopez

24984 wrote:

the only way I could get them to work was to delete them and set them up again.

That's right, we've also done that and it's a good way to ensure the study is set up correctly; some times the connections get fouled up and they need to be re-defined.

Another thing to try is looking into the properties for the current study; right-click first item in the simulation study tree. Try Direct sparse instead of FFE and see if that allows the study to solve.

Derek Bishop
                        I've also found on occasions that when you change a model it doesn't update properly and the study becomes "corrupted". The only way around this is to delete the study and start again.

My study had 24 unique external loads at 24 places.  Therefore, deleting and recreating the study each time made a mockery of my time and my very existence!  I have found, at least temporarily, a way to work around the issue.  Each time I modified the part, I found that the result nodes (stress, displacement and strain) would grey out and the study would keep failing.  I deleted these nodes but the study still kept failing.  Then, I tried these - deleted the result nodes, saved the part, quit Solidworks, restarted Solidworks, opened the part and then Ran the study.  It worked!  I repeated this process whenever the part was modified. 

Probably, it is a fact that not enough testing is done on such higher end products on such simple functionality issues.  More frequent service packs only expose the trend that we, the users, go through a hard time to educate the developers on the bugs from time to time.  Our precious time is lost; add to it closer deadlines and increased stress.  It's high time software users (at least for high end CAD products) are paid each time a service pack is released!

Karl Motherwell

Have you tried disabling UAC in Win 7 x64?

Had the same problem a while back when upgrading to 2.1.