3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 3:29 PM by Chris Dordoni

Text lost when open 2d iges

Ben Salisbury

We have a number of 2d iges drawings that we need to open and print. The drawings contain dimensions, notes, title block, etc, all of which are missing when opened with Solidworks (2010, SP2.1). The line geometry converts fine - object lines, dimension/extension lines, border, etc. Is there a way to get the text to show up?

• Re: Text lost when open 2d iges
          Jerry Steiger

Ben,

I don't believe I've ever gotten any dimensions, notes or text when I get 2D IGES files. DXF and DWG files include the text, so I would ask the people giving you the files if they can give you one of them. On the other hand, I don't know if the original IGES files had any dimensions, notes or text on them.

Jerry Steier

Ben Salisbury

Thanks for the reply Jerry.

We've been using AutoCad, and iges text shows up fine with that.  But we're trying to migrate to 100% Solidworks and use DwgEditor to replace AutoCad. This is to avoid having to upgrade our Autodesk Inventor packages when we go to Windows 7. DwgEditor won't open iges files, and it seems that they open in Solidworks only as a sketch in a part file, not a slddwg as I originally hoped. So then I thought okay, copy and paste the 2d sketch from the ipt file to a blank sheet to create the dwg. But the text doesn't show up in the part sketch and I haven't been able to find any options tweaks to solve the problem.  I hope I'm missing something that someone can shed light on.

Asking customers for different formats may work sometimes, but we have a large installed database of iges files. Also, as a contract manufacturer, we like to present a "can do" support posture. Imposing CAD format limitations wouldn't fly politically here. Dang it.

Chris Dordoni

Ben,

It is possible that the font is missing.

Are you sure that the same font that was used for the text in AutoCAD is present on your SolidWorks computer?

Chris