20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 8:56 AM by 1-F7YWJO

How to fix "Open Surface"

Dear All,

I imported an iges file to Solidworks and try to convert it to solid. When I use "Check" tool, it found that that there are several "open surface". How can I fix these open surfaces?

Many thanks

• Re: How to fix "Open Surface"
          Jeff Mowry
          Have you attempted to have the import diagnostics solve this problem as well?  That generally works for models I import.
            Matt Lombard

The message "open surface" is not an error that needs to be fixed. It simply means that some surfaces are not knitted into a closed volume. If you don't want individual surface bodies, then it leaves you with some work to do.

1) If the "open" surfaces don't touch other surfaces edge-to-edge, then you have to model more surfaces.

2) If the "open" surfaces touch other surfaces edge-to-edge, then you may have to knit the surfaces to make a closed volume

3) If the "open" surfaces overlap other surfaces, you might have to just delete them

Anyway, there are a lot of options, and no one here can tell you what to do without seeing the part and knowing what you hope to accomplish with it.

Thank you very much for the information provided. It is very helpful. Many thanks to all of you.

Now I am able to create surfaces to cover the channel as shown below. But the channel is no solid. What I need do next is to:

1. convert the channel to solid, and then

2. use extrude-cut to cut the solid channel. The cross-section of the channel should be like the second image.

Right now, I have no idea about how to do those. Please help too. Attached please also find the file I am working with. Thanks.

channel.JPG

sketch.JPG

Matt Lombard

Ok, there are two problems with your part. First, roll back or delete all the other stuff in the model. If you go to the view called the Top view, the first problem is at the very lowest point of the largest face in that view. Notice if you zoom in that it has a rounded edge where it should have a straight edge. That needs to be trimmed, and you can do it in a number of ways using sketches, planes, 3D sketches, or Sketch On Face, along with the Trim feature.

The second problem is the top hole in the series of holes on the same face. Notice that the other holes have 3 edges, but that hole only has two. Ideally they should have only one. Was this an IGES translation? Iges is an old format, and has too many interpretations, so you tend to get garbage like this. Anyway, the way I fixed it was to delete the big face, then extend the edges of the topmost hole, then use Fill to replace the deleted face, then use a mutual trim to cut away the insides of the holes on the fill, and the extended part of the hole.

This part created what seemed like a strange situation, where it was a single knitted surface with a single open edge. That should be impossible. I must be missing something. Anyway, all the trims fixed it up.

Best of luck.

Hi 22109,

First off, You need to turn on VOB (verification on Rebuild) which is under tools>options>performance.  Your import is corrupt and has a gap in it (as matt pointed out.) I did a "round-trip" on your import (export out of SW via IGES and then back in) then did a import diagnostics and simply removed that offending gap (which removed two adjacent faces) and then healed the faulty faces, and then rebuild the two faces as surface features that I lost when I removed the gap.

Next, you can see that the edges of your channel are pretty dirty from the native model or the translation. I had to use a 3D sketch convert entity just to do the boundary for the top. I'm not sure what kind of shape you want or what you are trying to do with the channels - plug them or remove them or build a additional solid insert.  See attached.

Edit - also attached wobj-mab2.zip if that is what you're after.

Regards

Mark

Dear Mark and Matt,

Really appreciate your kind help.

wobj-mab is exactly what I want. I just need add some solid to top area of the channel and leave a pipe at bottom area. In this way, some liquid can flow through  the pipe. Since I will have serveral this kind of iges files, I need study the design tree of the (wobj-mab.zip) file and try to fully understand how you do that professionally.

Thanks again for your help.

Dear Mark,

Sorry for bothering you again. I studied your file and have two minor questions for you

1. Can "thicken1" and "thicken2" be combined together with "add" option? I tried it. But it failed. I want just one solid object.

2. I cannot fully understand how you create "sketch4". Do you get it by intersecting "plane3" with the channel and then make an offset? I cannot find any clue from the design tree.

Thank you very much for your time

Is your intent to completely remove the 4 channels and just have a cooling channel underneath those former areas?

Mark

Yes, Mark, We want to create cooling channel for each original channel. The cooling channel should follow former channel.

I have spent much time in expolering how to do so. But I made no progress due to my poor knowledge about Solidworks.

Many thanks, Mark

So now that I understand what you want to do I think the simplest thing to do is to put a split on the surfaces just around the channel (because there is knotting in the NURBS of the original), and delete those outer surfaces and the inner channel surfaces and then just build a boundary surface to patch the channel. Additionally make a path for the coolant line and cut a loft by centerline.

BTW, could you post the original import file for me. I'd love for development to take a look at it. It comes from CATIA right?

Regards

Mark

Hi, Mark,

Attached please find the original file. I made a mistake. It is a step file, not an iges file. You are right. It was created using CATIA.

Normally, we get headache when importing file of other format (instead of sldprt). I don't have enough knowledge of conversion and repair. It seems that it is easy for you.

I will study the file you posted and try to understand your idea.

Thanks again for your help.

Mark,

I studied your file. It looks pretty good.

But we'd to keep bottom shape of original channel including its original pipes. The shape you created in wobj-mab.zip is exactly what we want. The only problem for that file is that the object cannot be combined with "thicken1". Is it the problem of imported file?

Really appreciate your help as it takes you much time.

HILL

Hi, Mark,

If you get chance, could you please tell me how you created feature "Sketch4" and "Sketch5" (wobj-mab.zip), whcih are used to create "Surface-Sweep1". This sweep surface is smooth.

I try to figure out how you did it. But the sweep surface I created consists of many several surfaces, which looks not smooth. I just want to create one smooth surface as you did. But I don't know how.

Sorry for keeping asking your questions. I do need some help.