AnsweredAssumed Answered

Losing sketch relationships constantly at random

Question asked by Michael Webster on Apr 10, 2010
Latest reply on May 6, 2010 by Kevin Bruce

SW 2010 latest SP, Windows 7 64 bit, blah blah

I design die sets - match metal, sharp-edged..

I usually design from the assembly - start with blank assembly, create some base 2d sketches to lay some things out, and build new parts in-place (I sometimes keep the inplace mates, often remove and create conventional mates instead, depending on the part.)

Early in the design process, I have no issues - I create my mates, relationships and so-forth as I go, and things remain stable throughout any changes I may make, opening, closing the assembly and whatnot.

However, at some point - and I hasten to add this is not a 2010 issue - it's been happening since 2008 release - I reach some critical mass - usually when I begin adding mounting features - bolt holes, dowel holes, etc..- where Solidworks says, 'That's it, screw you, I'm going to start randomly forgetting external links in your 2d sketch relationships.

Now maybe I'm going about things wrong - I'm self-taught, so maybe I never got told the 10 commandments of bug-free Solidworks useage.  If I have two parts that align together, They'll either be in-place mated, or what-have-you, but they will be fixed in place somehow (I dislike "fixing" the part, so generally fixed means 3 or more mates, or an in-place.) and I will add a 2-d hole wizard feature to one of the parts, for, say, c'bored holes for screws.  I will next edit the mating part, select the appropriate face, another 2-d hole feature, and quick-snap to the centerpoints of the holes in the other part.  This seems logical to me - I have only one feature to change if I need to move holes, then a rebuild, and all my holes update, any mated screws move, and I'm good.

But at some point after I've done those features, this could be a day, a week after, I'll open the assembly (knowing that it was previously saved in a "good, re-built" condition) - and I'll have errors.  One of those coincident relations will be "no longer valid" or missing, and I'll have to go into the offending feature, delete and re-create the same relationship.  Sometimes there's just one, sometimes 5, but ALL generally at random, unrelated errors.  I can make a change to some other area of my assembly, completely unrelated, and it'll screw something else up.

I know you're saying, "well maybe you just don't know what you're doing, too many relations, etc.. making changes that will affect things and not realizing.." - but understand, it's always just one random relation in a feature sketch, NOT the entire set of relations - if I have 8 holes in a feature, 1 hole will be hosed up, the others are fine.

Any how, enough ranting - maybe this is a common issue with SW, I've learned to just deal with it.  But it is scary when I go back into an assembly that I've already detailed the parts to, and have to remember exactly what I was wanted to relate to what 2 weeks previously.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Outcomes