3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2017 9:04 AM by Jesse Powers

Pneumatic Diagram

Dan Tegman

What is the best way to draw a pneumatics diagram in SW? Do you just start a new sketch and them make a drawing from that?

I have not found any valve sketches in the tool box, or do I have to draw each one?

Any suggestions? Sorry I have never done it in SW.

Thank you in advance!

Dan

• Re: Pneumatic Diagram
          Josh Brady

The best way is to not do it in SolidWorks.

SolidWorks is solid modeling software with some drafting capability.  Any sort of 2-D drawing/drafting/whatever you want to call it is a PITA in SolidWorks.  You'd do better using DWGeditor or (if you have it) Visio.  Visio is specifically designed for schematic type prints.

• Re: Pneumatic Diagram
            Tom Parent

I agree with Josh that these types of diagrams are best done in Visio, or something similar.  The "pro" version of Visio comes pre-loaded with a full library of pneumatic schematic (hey that rhymes!) symbols.  You can then insert your Visio diagram as an OLE object in the Solidworks drawing.

However, to answer your question:

You can go ahead and just start sketching in drawing mode.  First create an "Empty" view.  (Insert > Drawing View > Empty) and place your sketch entities in there.  This will "group" everything to make it easier to move things around en masse.  I presume you know about the SW Block functionality?  If not, check out the SW help on blocks; it'll save you a lot of headaches.

Some manufactures have symbol DXFs on their websites.  For instance:

http://www.smcaus.com.au/pages/pneumatic_symbols.html

This would be a good start to build your own SW symbol library.

Good luck!

TOM