2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 5:26 PM by Jeff Mowry

Will Solidworks 2010 run on my computer?

Rick McWilliams

I am still running SW2007.  I would like to buy SW2010. I do not think that it will run on my old reliable Dell Precision M70 laptop with NVidia Quadro 1400 graphics card.  I down loaded eDrawings 2010. It runs like poop.  I can see the model but rotations are painfully slow and parts of the model disappear during motion. The options or graphic acceleration are greyed out.  The recommended NVidia driver will not install on this machine. Solidworks recommended drivers seems to only support up to 2009 for my machine.

I do not want to add my reliable big old laptop to the enviromental scrap heap at this time. Maybe there is some un-approved graphics driver that will work?

• Re: Will Solidworks 2010 run on my computer?
          Jeff Holliday
          I am seeing the same things you are. Although I admit that I have gotten almost 4 decent years worth of service from my M70, I was hoping to coax a little more time from it. Bigger and better things lie ahead!
          • Re: Will Solidworks 2010 run on my computer?
            Jeff Mowry

I don't know about that, but I was using v2007 as my main version only a year ago, and between v2007 and v2008 the resources required for the same assemblies really jumped up.  Jumping from v2008 to v2009 didn't seem like quite as large a step.  I'm not sure about v2010, since it won't run at anything beyond SP 0.0 on my machine (just upgraded from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 7).

Unless you've got solid reason to upgrade, I'd recommend staying with what works.

I've seen (and worked with) some HP laptops that ran v2008 quite well with some very complex surface and solid geometry in 64-bit XP a year ago.  Not sure the cost of those, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cost less than the Dell equivalent these days.