AnsweredAssumed Answered

Propagate part revision through parent assemblies

Question asked by Stephen Ball on Mar 31, 2010
Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 by Bill Pedersen

Hi everyone,

I am setting up Workgroup PDM for the first time, and am practicing with a test vault to get a handle on things.  I have run into an issue that I'm not sure how to handle properly.  Please forgive me if I don't use the correct terminology yet, as I'm a newbie!  I understand that when a part/assembly is revised, the parent assemblies that it is part of are not updated with the new part revision. Or similarly, if I swap a part in a sub-assembly with a NEW part, and thus increment the sub-assembly revision, the parent assemblies are not updated with the new sub-assembly revision.

Lets say that I want to be able to save the parent assembly with all of the CURRENT updated parts/assemblies so that I can refer back to it a year from now.  What is the best way to achieve this?  Of course I could manually update each sub-assembly until I reach the parent assembly, but this seems like a lot of work, and is potentially error-prone (i.e. if I miss one sub assembly).  Part of the problem is that I can work with the "Use Latest Revisions" option when I check it out, so what I see will always be the current parts/assemblies.  I might not notice if I have missed updating one of the subassemblies.

I would appreciate if you could give me an idea of whether I'm missing something here, or if there is an accepted way to do this.  Thanks in advance!!

Stephen

Outcomes