2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 9:42 PM by Alin Vargatu

Editing a feature

Paul Martin

Another question from a learner......

Attached are file labelled Moulding Tool Part1.SLDPRT and Moulding Tool Part6.SLDPRT.

I have made Part6  by copying the previously drawn Part1 as this part is very close in form to part 6. I have succesfully deleted the middle four holes feature in Part1 and added the 13mm diameter hole but now I am stuck.

The item CBORE for M4 SHCS1 is a pair of counterbored holes for M4 socket cap screws. The counter boring is from the back face in Part1 and on Part6 in need to reverse this so the counterbore is from the front face. I can't for the life of me see how to do it and would be grateful for some help.

Its been a long day re-teaching myself basic SolidWorks having not touched it since I did the training course more than a year ago and I am probably missing something dead simple

Thanks

Paul Martin

• Re: Editing a feature
          Robert Feliciano

Paul,

I couldn't open the files- I'm still on 2009. As I understand your question, you are trying to 're-locate' the counterbore to another face and the feature was created using Hole Wizard.

Try this;

-collapse the Cbore feature in your feature tree (click the '+' sign next to the feature)

-right click the 3D sketch under that feature and select the edit sketch icon

-once in edit mode, click the 'point' and you'll see a small relation icon. Delete the relation (not the point) from either the keyboard or the relations listbox on the left (should read 'On PlaneX')

-Now you are free to select the point and another feature to create a new relation, in your case, another plane. Select the point you just 'unconstrained', Ctrl. select the new plane you want the counterbore on and apply the On Plane constraint

-Rinse and repeat for all other cbores.

You may have to add locating dimension constraints in order to match the hole locations on the mating part.

r.

The life of a designer is a life of fight: fight against the ugliness.— Massimo Vignelli

• Re: Editing a feature
            Alin Vargatu
            See attached video. Hope it is self explanatory. Use Edit Sketch Plane.