1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 8:24 AM by Joy Garon

EPDM database collation

Kris Jankiewicz

I recently ran into problems with mismatched server & database collation on a project not associated with EPDM whatsoever. After fixing the problem I decided to check my EPDM database server to see what collations have been chosen. I noticed that the SQL Server 2005 default collation is set to "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" which is a compatible with previous versions of SQL Server (designated by the "SQL_" prefix). I verified all the system databases (master, model, msdb and tempdb) and they were all set to the same collation as the server default.

Then I checked the two EPDM databases and found that the ConisioMasterDb database was the same as the server default as well but our actual vault database was set to "Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS". Our VAR used a pre-loaded database to kickstart our vault setup. Is this the proper collation for the vault databases?  If not, does anyone know if this could cause a problem? I only ask because we sometimes experience weird problems and poor database performance.

Thanks in advance to those that can shed some light on this matter.

-Kris

• Re: EPDM database collation
          Joy Garon

Hi Kris,

For EPDM commands and operations - we use the database collation - not server collation.  It’s ok if they mismatch - it should not affect Enterprise operations. We've not seen any issues from mismatched collations  -  however if you write custom SQL queries / reports - it will most likely use the server collation when listing/sorting query results, unless you explicitly specify the database collation. When creating a new vault, we set the database to KS (Kana sensitive) and WS (width sensitive) in order to handle double-byte and Unicode characters correctly.

For more information on collation settings, look in the Microsoft library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143726.aspx

Regards,

Joy