10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 3:54 AM by Stuart Coutts

SolidWorks 2010 has lost link to symbol library?!?!?!

Scott Curtis

Can anyone tell me where I go in SW to specify the file location for the symbol library? I know where the gtol.sym file is on my computer, but I cannot find where in the system options I specify its location.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

• Re: SolidWorks 2010 has lost link to symbol library?!?!?!
          Matthew Lorono

You cannot change the location of gtol.sym in SolidWorks.  It must be in your <install_folder>/lang/english folder.  If you are having issues with it dsiplaying symbols on your drawing, try exiting and restarting SW.  If that doesn't work, try restarting the computer.  That should work.

Matthew Lorono

SolidWorks Legion

Follow me on Twitter

Scott Curtis

Thanks for the response Matthew. As I stated in my original post, I know where the gtol.sym file is, and I have not changed its location nor do I have any desire to do so. My problem is that when I attempted to use a symbol, such as hole depth, in a dimension, SW could not find my symbol library. I had assumed that there was a file pointer in the system options settings, but I was mistaken. I have restarted SW and the computer multiple times with no improvement in the problem.

I have had some similar problems since upgrading to 2010; I upgraded all the way from 2005 to 2010 in one action, and apparently that's not necessarily the most ideal course of action.

John McVay

I'm having the same problem. We upgrade each year through our re-seller, so I'm not sure it's a problem with trying to update across multiple years. I also assumed that there was a 'browse to' link in the options, but I couldn't find anything. Restarting the computer has not helped. Please advise! Thanks.

Scott McFadden

Scott,

Are you talking about hole wizard?

I ran into a similar issue at my old job when our toolbox wouldn't be recognized

when updateing the path.  Sounds like you are having a similar issue.

If this is the same issue, our toolbox/holewizard needed to be updated

and we lost all of the toolbox files that were pertenate to our company that had been

created for the previous 5 or so years.

I do have the instructions if you would like them if this is your issue.  They are rather lengthy to type.

Let me know.

John McVay

I was actually just trying to add a weldment call-out to a drawing I was working on. When I went to add the contour specs, none of the symbols came up; I got a 'The parameter is incorrect' error message with a blank Symbol Library pop-up box. Just to see if it was an error with the weld call-out function, I tried adding a diameter symbol to a random dimension and what came up was <MOD-DIAM> and no symbol. Seems like the sybol library just went POOF! Do I need to re-install? Thanks.

John

Scott McFadden

John,

This sounds like a different issue then what Scott is dealing with.

But, my first question for you is have you ever saved your reg settings for Solidworkes with

the save settings wizard in the Solidworks install, toolls directory?

Hopefully you have, because you can run that and it will put things back to prioer to

your delema.

John McVay

I actually tried running SW RX to record the error and get a log of it; but when I did, it told me SW was already running, which was odd becuae I had closed out of it. I pulled up task manager and sure enough in the Processes tab SW.exe was running even though it wasn't showing up in the Applications tab. So I ended the process and went back and re-started RX to re-create the error. But when I did, lo and behold, the Symbols library was back! So I don't know if the background running of SW was causing the problem or is just another symptom of a greater problem; but either way, I seem to have my symbols library back (for now, at least). Thanks for your help!

John

Stuart Coutts

Thanks for this post, it assisted me with my issue...

I have just had a similar problem with the symbols.

A second session of SW was trying to open but was hung up at the splash screen. This caused the same issue as youve described.

I just got rid of the hung SW session and voila its working again.

Thanks again!