1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 13, 2006 11:14 AM by

Spline Handle Issues...

on 2006 13 08:14 dan sommerfeld wrote:
      > Looking for some help.
      >
      > I just upgraded to 2007 this week and I have been spending some time trying out
      > the new features. I love that the spline handles now can be weighted
      > differently on either side of the spline point, but I have not found a way to
      > make both sides symmetrical which is important to me.

If you use Alt-drag, the handle drags symmetrically

> believe you should be able to dimension the handles this way: Symmetrical with
      > a singular dimension, or have two individual dimensions for either side of the
      > handle point.

If you don't break the symmetry by dragging manually, a dimension does have symmetrical control. If you have broken symmetry and want to get it back, you can click Reset All Handles or just Reset This Handle.
        • Spline Handle Issues...
          Looking for some help.

I just upgraded to 2007 this week and I have been spending some time trying out the new features. I love that the spline handles now can be weighted differently on either side of the spline point, but I have not found a way to make both sides symmetrical which is important to me.

This spline behavior has been available in graphic design software packages since I started using CorelDraw in 1996, and I requested their controls for splines in SolidWorks many years ago. A spline point in Corel can be Symmetrical, Smooth, or Cusp. Cusp breaks the continuity at the spline point. Another great feature in corel that would be wonderful in SolidWorks is that you can specify any section of the spline between two points as being either curved or a line (as in straight) - having this flexibility much simplifies the function of creating straight sections along the path of the spline (view the jpg for my meaning). Also, I hate how moving a spline point and handle will alter other spline points and handles.

Anyways, back to the problem at hand. You can dimension a spline handle, but it doesn't lock the spline as symmetrical and once it is dimensioned it grays out the individual spline handle increment boxes in the property manager. I believe you should be able to dimension the handles this way: Symmetrical with a singular dimension, or have two individual dimensions for either side of the handle point.

Does anyone know any workarounds?

Thanks,

Dan Sommerfeld