3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 12:13 AM by Aaron Tuck

Multi directional surfacing

Aaron Tuck

Hi there.

I am trying to create a tap shape and the way I have done it in the past is how I have done it in this file, but I think it could be done better.

My problem is getting a smooth transition between the main sweep surface and the second sweep surface. I am using splines and have tried messing around with start/end constraints and guide curves but I am getting what I would call 'pinching' along my guide curve areas.

Basically I want a sexy joint which gives me good zebra stripe patterns for moulding.

This is not the actual product because of work confidentiality, but if I can get this smooth then I can apply the techniques to my other models.

Done in SW 2010

• Re: Multi directional surfacing
          Matt Lombard

Yeah, this kind of thing is tough, and requires a lot of trial and error. If you can, I think it would help to make the radii of the 3 sided hole larger. To do that you'd probably have to make a sketch on the top plane and control that shape a little more intentionally. The problems seem to have a lot to do with how much the tangent direction changes around the open loop. It might do better if you could get something on the original feature that starts to go in the direction of the feature that you want to create. I would also use a boundary surface instead of a loft, and remove the guide curve, and use maybe one or two more closed loop splines in direction 1.

I tried a few simple things, and didn't really improve it much. I think in the end, you're gonna have to tinker with the shape and size of that trimmed opening.

best of luck.

• Re: Multi directional surfacing

Hi Aaron,

First off, the way that you've constructed your spline (in sketch18) is not tangent with the adjacent face (see image below.) Same goes for sketch19. Use the intersection curve sketch feature to create your reference to make tangent or C2 to. then past that, use boundary instead of loft. Also creating some additional 2nd direction curves will help. See attached.