3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 7:02 PM by Matt Kirby

IGES FILE WONT CONVERT

Matt Kirby
      Last week I had a similar issue with a step file converting and this week its an iges with the same problem. The surfaces come in twisted and some are missing. Can someone tell me if its the file or me? Thanks for the help.
        • Re: IGES FILE WONT CONVERT
          Matt Lombard

Matt,

It opens in 2010 after fiddling with some options. go to File Open, then change the file type to IGES, then click the Options button, (you have to do it in that order), then turn off the Free Point/curve Entities.

Then try the import again, using the Open dialog rather than drag and drop.

Phil Marra

Matt,

I looked at the file in notepad and it was saved as an IGS file from SW 2008. Alot of these problems could be avoided if you asked the originator of the file to send you a parasolid version. It is much friendlier and the files will be smaller in size as well as they open faster.

Matt Kirby

Sorry I havent responded its been crazy busy here. I was not able to get this iges to convert properly even after changing the settings around. I normally request step files but for some reason this one was sent as an Iges. I ended up just redrawing the part.

I want to thank you for writing the Solidworks Bible. I have been using Inventor for the last 5 years until our shop went under due to the depression. I was hired on at a company that uses Solidworks and your book saved me for sure. Thank you very much.