7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 9:27 AM by Dwight Livingston

Non Windows-like toolbars.

If a dimension is set to be centered between the extention lines, don't let me drag it around! I hate it when I drag a dim off center and it pops back to center when I drop it. I should only be able to drag it off center when that option is clicked off.
        • Non Windows-like toolbars.
          As a new SW user (but a long-time computer/CAD user) there are a couple of things that REALLY bug me.

In other applications (generally speaking), clicking on an active toolbar button will not toggle that function off, but reinitialize the command. I'd like to see that sort of behavior on any sketch entity/geometry creation toolbar buttons.

Things like formatting that cause new stuff to have particular properties are candidates for a toggle button, but for commands toggle doesn't make sense. I click on the DIM button when I want to draw a dimension. I'll click on something else when I want to draw something else.
            on 2006 21 07:42 zemlin wrote:
            > on 2006 20 15:09 Jim Boland wrote:>

> That's not what I'm looking for - that kills the command after one action.

Yes and no. I know this may not be what you are looking for but if you double click on the icon it will leave you in the command. If you single click it will exit after execution. You can also press the enter key to invoke your last command.
              Your first item has always been available in SW, it's called "Single command per pick". Go to Tools, Option, System Options and select it. Then when you select a sketch entity like a line, you draw one line and the tool turns off. If you want to toggle it on, just double-click the button.
                on 2006 20 15:09 Jim Boland wrote:
                > Your first item has always been available in SW, it's called "Single command per
                > pick".

That's not what I'm looking for - that kills the command after one action. When placing dimensions, for example, I'd like to be able to place one dim after another, but if I screw up and select the wrong edge I can click on the DIM button and get a fresh start. As it is now, that turns the command off.

I'm sure some folks would disagree, but I don't poke a button when I want to end a command, I only poke a button when I want to do something. If I want to end a command I'll either select the CURSOR button, or bang on the ESC key a few times.

In most cases, having a button that toggles a command is counter-productive.
                • Re: Non Windows-like toolbars.
                  Paul Somero

In the Dimension PropertyManager under Dimension Text, click the [<-x->] icon that's second to the left.

You can turn this option off by default in the document options under dimensions too I think.

Glenn Schroeder

Go to Options > Document Properties tab > Dimensions.  There are a number of options at the lower left.  One of them is "Center between extension lines".  That will control the behavior you're having problems with.

You can over-ride this for individual dimensions.  RMB on the dimension, go to Display Options, then check or un-check "Center Dimension".

Dwight Livingston

In most situations, with "center dimension" turned on, you still have a choice whether the dimension is placed between the extension lines or outside the extension lines. That's why drag still works, so if it looks too crowded or you need the room, you can move the dimension outside the extensions.

Dwight