2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 5:05 PM by Jeremy Feist

Smashing studs is fun!!!

Jasmin Hosic

I need to used solidworks simulation to figure out how many tons of pressure it would take to smash a copper stud.  Can solidworks even do this?  We just need to get in the ballpark range so that we can figure out what machine we need to buy.  The stud is 1.689" in diameter and we need to smash it to a thickness of 1" on one of the ends.  Also, if you just happen to know of another way to figure this out without using solidworks, that would be just as good.  Thank you in advance for your responses.

• Re: Smashing studs is fun!!!
          Jasmin Hosic
          I was thinking about this earlier today.  I know that the yield strength of copper is about 18.76 tons/sq.in.   The surface area of the smashed part should be about 10 sq.in.   So, can I put the two together and say: 10 x 18.76 = 187.6 tons of pressure required to smash the stud?  Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
            • Re: Smashing studs is fun!!!
              Jeremy Feist

if you want to try to use solidwork for this you need to go all the way up to Simulation premium (or professional - I forget) you need nonlinear analysis.

there are hand calculations that would probably get you close enough, though I haven't used them in years so I am not going to try to post them here from memory. I can tell you that you example calculation is giving you a low number since it does not take into account "strain hardening". a lot of metals (copper especially) get harder the more you deform them. ever try to straighten a copper wire?

Jeremy