AnsweredAssumed Answered

Ghosting and Testing Shared Workstation?

Question asked by Mark Tellefson on Feb 26, 2010

I am setting up an HP Z400 workstation that will be put in a "quiet room" and shared between several engineers.  The purpose of the room is for them to get away from phones, salespeople, etc.  We work on assemblies with around 1000 parts and are on SW2009.  Data is stored on the server so I am assuming at the end of the day they will need to check everything back in.

Xeon Quad core W3565 3.2Ghz Processor

12GB DDR3

1TB 7200PRM Hard Drive

Nvidia Quadro FX3800

XP Pro 64 bit (upgradable to 7 when we move to SW2010)

I also purchased a WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k drive.  One thing I hope to do with this machine is make some comparisons to help us find what is most critical to us for future workstation purchases.  I have been reading a lot of posts out here and when I thought I knew exactly what we needed the price quickly went over $7500.  I plan on testing different memory amounts, video cards (FX4600) and the difference between the standard 7200RPM drive and the Velociraptor.

I haven't used Norton Ghost for many years but I was thinking it would probably be the easiest way to duplicate the HD for testing between the 2 drives.  If I am doing that anyway do you think it would be a good idea to restore the image on a regular (monthly?) basis to keep the machine as clean and fast as possible?

Any other input on my testing ideas would be greatly appreciated as well.

Mark

Outcomes