4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 6:14 PM by Richard Hall

HOW TO?

Richard Hall

I have a workflow set up and I need to include outside approval from the customer in the loop.  Could I set up 2 different transitions "approval required"/"approval not required" or would it be best to create another workflow and send it out of my current workflow.  If I choose the latter do I have to have the state where I send it out from and a different one where I bring it back?  I don't want to get too complicated.  BTW, the customer doesn't have access to our system, the approval would be manual on our end by email.  I don't want to disrupt our normal workflow to include this step.

Thanks in advance,

• Re: HOW TO?
          Joy Garon

Hi Rich -

One option would be to put a checkbox on the datacard (outside review?) and then test the condition on the transition.

However, using two transitions between the two states works best (especially if you are acting on multiple documents). Just handle the 'work' in the transition.

Are you using SMTP for messages so that he gets an email? Do you need to send him something to review? ie: PDF

Joy

If you are just bypassing a state or two for the "no approval required", then your first solution is best. If "no approval required" branches out and goes through several states before it gets back into the default process, then it is pretty much a wash. Either way will work.

If you go the second route, you create a "Workflow Link" and tell it what workflow to move the document into and at what state to place it in. Then  create a regular transition to move the document through this link when a certain condition is met. In the second workflow you would have to create a "Workflow Link" to move the document back to the original workflow at the correct state.

Joy Garon

Building on what Wayne said...would something like this work for you?

approval.png

Richard Hall

Joy and Wayne,

Thanks for the input on my question.  I think both ways you described are what I had envisioned for my options.  It seems I'm not going to get away with something simple.  I am trying to keep my primary workflow simple for those who don't have to use the outside approval step so I leaning on doing a separate WF with transitions.  Joy, I will print out the WF you sent and take a look at it as I try to build what we need.

Thanks again,

Rich