AnsweredAssumed Answered

Do not underestimate the Power of Shelling in Sheetmetal.

Question asked by Pankaj Bir on Feb 10, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 by Bernie Daraz

Direct Sheetmetal modeling strains system resources what with the plethora of data that has to be attached to

each bend . Not to mention the overhead of the radius data and cylindrical surfaces and bezier surfaces for

corner blending.

If you compare the feature statistics you will be surprised how different the rebuild times are for a simple sheetmetal

body  in comparision to a  body modelled using solid modeling commands and then  being shelled and converted to sheetmetal.

Get out of the fear of not being able to unfold the geometry created. The insert bends and Convert to sheetmetal

can be used to good effect right at the end when everything else has been captured.

This approach is vital in the armory of any person remotely claiming to be an exponent of the art  and science

of sheetmetal modeling in Solidworks.

The ability to model in multiple ways is key to arriving at the most easily modifiable data for a particular situation.

But considering the vast complexity and diversity of the use of the tool some situations demand a certain approach.

Nine out of ten times  you could get the  job done with  a shell though. Trust me !!!!! ?

Sheetmetal functionality is basically surfaces with a bit of twist.

I hope my very extreme views annoy most out there into posting a reply atleast to this discussion. I hope I have ruffled the

feathers of the purists who believe that sheetmetal is the only way. 

Post your counter arguments  .  It will be great fun.

Outcomes