7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 9:33 AM by Tomasz Kurowski

an unhandled win32 exception occurred in star.exe

Tomasz Kurowski

I cannot run any analyses because as soon as they start, I get this message:

"An unhandled win32 exception occurred in star.exe [3564]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debuffer has Just-In-Time debugging enabled.  In Visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enable from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.

Check the documentation indec for 'Just-in-time debugging, errors' for more information."

How can I fix this?

Cheers,

Tom

• Re: an unhandled win32 exception occurred in star.exe
          Tomasz Kurowski
          Note: the number in the square brackets, changes everytime I try to run simulation.
            Tomasz Kurowski

So I've tried a few dozen things.  Perhaps this might help:

I removed a bunch of Visual Studio installations as I read on the internet that it might be a cause of the thrown exception.

I also used windows system restore to a date in which I know everything was working.

After that, I tried a few things:

1) run simulation on a single part = OK

2) run simulation on a three part assembly including pin joints = OK

3) run simulation on a four part assembly including pin joints and contact conditions = OK

(the model which keeps crashing has several pin joints and several contact conditions)

4) run simulation on the orgiinal assembly that kept crashing = NOT OK!

I'm still running into the same problem. Same exception, study not solved.

I'm doing a reinstallation of SolidWorks 2010 now, and will install the updates as well.  If this does not work, and no body here knows the solution, perhaps someone might be able to forward me to a SolidWorks Simulation representative with whom I can speak.

Thank you,

Tom Kurowski

Ian Hogg

Hi Tom,

If this happens on a specific model or study, then the problem is most likely an incorrect definition of an entity in the study that it doesn't know what to do with. If it happens on all models, then is it more likely an installation or dll conflict.

From what I understand below, it is happening on specific models. If you can discern the differences, then focus on those. I find that if you suppress the different items and unsuppress them one by one, you can pin point the cause. If this is a static analysis, use the weak spring option in the solver settings to stop large rigid body movement for when you suppress items.

If you're unable to share the model, then the best option is to work through your reseller and if they're not able to  diagnose the issue, they will get SW tech support involved.

In an ideal world the solver should never crash in the way you are experiencing, it should provide a message related to the feature causing the problem (and usually it does). So providing the model to you reseller can get this issue logged.

Cheers,

Ian

Tomasz Kurowski

Hello,

I really appreciate your reply, however, just yesterday I ran the same assembly on a different computer and it worked without a flaw.  I should add that this model has run on my computer many times before, with minor changes to the geometry.  I've even tried recreating the whole assembly with no success.  This error started popping up after I ran my simulation, but ran out of hard drive space ("FILE_ERROR"), which I've got many times before (sometimes I find it unbelievable that simulation needs 5 gB ).  After I cleaned up my computer, I started getting the null pointer error.

Because I can't spend time solving the problem, I am going to reinstall solidworks, and in the mean time, am working on a different computer (with plenty of giga bytes!)

Thank you,

Tom

Ian Hogg

HI Tom,

If the model runs on another computer fine, then it must be install related. If after reinstall the problem persists, I would touch base with your reseller so you can get a technician to look at it. With the web meeting tools, it can make diagnosing the issue a lot faster.

I have run some non linear analysis jobs that have results files around 10Gb, but I am doing large numbers of time steps with reasonable sized models. So yes the files can get pretty large if you are after lots of result points.

Hope the reinstall corrects the problem.

Cheers,

Ian

Tomasz Kurowski

I suppose I can assume this is the correct solution;

I've had this problem in the past, and remembered by browsing the internet that I should delete all temporary data regarding the particular *.exe (star.exe in my case).  I remember deleting all the temp files from ../../Local Settings/temp and all results from the assembly folder.  This worked when I was using SW2009.  In SW2010, I believe the problem that I had which I found after I uninstalled SolidWorks, was that SolidWorks was still storing a lot of my simulation data.  This is also why I was running out of hard drive space.

Using WinDirStat (http://windirstat.info/) to graphically view what folders were occupying a lot of memory (everybody should have this program, I highly appreciate it, especially now!), I found that "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks" had about 50Gb of temporary simulation data.

Solution:  I bet that if I had deleted those files as well as everything in /Temp and all the results in the assembly folder, that the problem would have been solved.

The NEW question, is how to I stop SolidWorks from storing data in "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks"?

I have since reinstalled SW2010, and it still throws temporoary data in there.  I want to remove this option.  Is it possible?  I have looked with no success.

Cheers,

Tom