4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 12:41 PM by Douglas Fox

Model View Envelopes Getting Wacky

Jason McCrory

...There's really no other way for me to describe it.

When creating assembly drawings for systems, I use display states to detail sub assemblies in my drawings. It usually works out great. I can center views on the sheet to make it look nice-n-neat all lined up.

Occaisionally, a view will be created whose envelope is way out of proportion to the view - as if the envelope contains other parts of the assembly that are actually hidden from view. The size of the envelope isn't consistant between occurances, and it doesn't seem to impact printing at all.

It seems minor, but because the envelopes are all jacked up, I can't use centering tools to align my drawing views, and dropping notes on some views sometimes accidentally places them in the wrong view (because of overlapping envelopes).

Ultimately it seems to be just an annoyance, but it's one I could do without. Anyone seen this? ... even better; Anyone know how to fix it?

SWX2008 SP5.0

• Re: Model View Envelopes Getting Wacky
          Brian Hughes

Crop the View back down?  :-)

Bounding box issues aren't new to drawings by any means.  The best bet is to create an SR with and Rx.  Screenshots.  Find a couple reproducible ones.  Send that off to your VAR and thus SolidWorks.

Display States were new to 2008.

Bounding box issues are littered all over the Knowledge base, some as completed SPRs others as open ones, if you can find one that matches yours (I couldn't in a quick search) all the better.

Josh Brady
            This is another example of why it would be nice to be able to parametrically locate drawing views on the sheet based on their geometry.  Dimensions/relations, etc. could drive view placement.  Then (imagine this) you could overlap a couple of views, parametrically link their position, and then DIMENSION BETWEEN THE VIEWS!  Just like you can with layers in 2-D CAD.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want modeling to act like 2-D CAD, but it would be nice to have some 2-D type functionality in 2-D drawings of those models!
              Tony Greising-Murschel

I too use display states to detail out sub-assy's and piece parts but I'm using SW2010 SP2.0 x86.  When the envelope starts getting all hairy and out of control I go back to the model and RMB the top level assembly and hide everything, then I search through to find my subs/parts to turn back on.  It seems that planes and sketches also effect the view envelope.

Let me know what else you find.