4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 8:29 PM by Justin Sue

Global contact bonded options

Justin Sue

ive noticed that when ever i use bonded global contact and select the compatible mesh it doesnt create a compatible mesh between solid parts and after i run the simulation and go boack to edit the global contact the incompatible mesh option is checked rather than the compatible mesh option.

from my understanding solidworks should try to create a compatible mesh between solids where possible, but i dont seem to get any compatible mesh between parts from looking at my mesh.

• Re: Global contact bonded options

Justin,

This happened once to me, too.  (once out of about 1000 times using Simulation)

It was really weird, but the way I got around it (for that one study) was just to use the "create contact set" manager and add all the contact sets I wanted.  Fortunately, it wasn't a very big study, maybe 8 components.  But still.  weird.  I clicked the "use compatible mesh" option as well, ran the study, got the "unstable model" error message.  I checked the options, and "compatible mesh" was UN checked.

You could try adding bonded contact sets, or re-creating the study from scratch in the assembly file you're in at the moment.  (BTW, you needn't re-create entirely from scratch - you can copy and past contact sets from one study to the other in the same SW file.)

Good luck!

David

Justin Sue

I've noticed that for small assemblies it does the compatible mesh between parts not problems but with the larger assemblies if it finds one interface too hard to mesh then it will force it to resort to incompatible mesh between parts.

i would go and specify contact sets between my parts in the assembly but i have 152 parts in my assembly unfortunately.

Justin,

So what's the final word?  Did it work?  Are you giving up?  Did you try creating a fresh simulation study?  You don't have to do all your work over again (defining fixtures and loads) because you can copy them from one study to another.  Sometimes this procedure smartens the solver up and it might not play tricks on you anymore if you create a fresh study.

Let us know what worked in the end!

David

P.S.  152 is not the end of the world, though I realize it is a lot of work.  I would hope that the global contact setting smartens up before you have to try this method. 

However, you can use the age-old military strategy of divide and conquer!  Make a configuration of your assembly just for FEA, and then create derived configurations of that one with fewer and fewer components.  This allows you to find all the contact sets you need to while only considering a few components at a time.  When you move up to the next more complex configuration, you copy into that study all the work you gained from the smaller study.  And so on, and so on.  Please note: Don't try this strategy by doing FEA in different assembly files.  You can't copy contact sets, etc. from one SW file to another.  (at least, not easily, in any way that I know of.)

Justin Sue

i finally got it to mesh with a compatible mesht by playing around with my mesh size and changing my mesh controls around a bit and creating a new study. most of the part interfaces where there is surface to surface bonding there is a compatible mesh now.

now a new problem has risen up in that when i go to do a h adaptive study it doesnt mesh one of the parts and the fails. any ideas on this problem?