5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 8:39 AM by 1-FT2GNE

Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional Extended and Solidworks 2010

We recently purchased a seat of Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended for it 3D PDF creation abilities.  For some reason, it will not convert documents saved by SolidWorks 2010.  Documents saved under previous editions of Solidworks convert just fine.  Anyone have a fix?

Dan Kuras

Mid-America Machining

Brooklyn, MI

• Re: Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional Extended and Solidworks 2010
          Deepak Gupta

I believe you can directly create a 3D pdf from SW. I don't have a Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended on my machine yet I can make 3D pdfs from SW nicely. Just curious to know if Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended give you any extra advantages/option over normal saving 3D pdf from SW.

Here is a link to the post on How to make a 3D PDF out of SolidWorks

Anna Wood

Daniel,

I would assume that the Adobe 2009 software does not have the required translators to read the newer Solidworks 2010 files.  You might want to check with Adobe and see what they have to say.

Cheers,

Anna

Peter Wood

I've been using The Adobe Acrobat Pro extended for several years, as it stands now Adobe is not supporting SW2010,

You have a few choices, save as  YourFile.u3D  and then open the file undeder the create from file menu.

However that method does not support configurations.  saving directly from SW2010 as a pdf with the 3D option but this is a stripped down version with no configurations either.  SolidWorks developers and Adobe should have communicated code to prevent this issue from hitting the users.  Adobe allows you to "create" the file then says its not supported.  This issue prevents me from communicating with good images, several of my customers will not download edrwaings for security reasons, so I'm currently providing a lot of screenshots.GelatoSupply 3 inch taster spoon.JPG

I hope that Adobe will provide full support soon... I had been using the product quite effectively.

Pete Wood

Chris Dordoni

I believe there are still some functions in the PDF format that are proprietary to Adobe, although the basic format is now open source. I've been searching for several years for a low cost alternative, and it appears that some functions still require Adobe's own PDF generation software. (My experience is with Acrobat Pro 8).

For example, the measuring and markup functions and form filling ability require that you have Adobe Acrobat Standard/Pro to "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader". If you don't have Acrobat Standard/Pro software, you can't create a PDF that will allow use of these functions in Adobe Reader.

Now there are a number of software vendors who state that they have a much less expensive way to produce PDF files that have the same capabilities as Acrobat Standard/Pro.

The problem is, while these 3rd party apps may have measuring and markup ability, it is NOT compatible with Adobe Reader. Sure, you can view the measuring and markup in Adobe Reader, but you can't change or add to it. You need the 3rd party app to modify this information. Most computers have Adobe Acrobat installed. I'm not comfortable asking clients to download and install some 3rd party software so they can markup a file. Additionally, none of the 3rd part apps I tried could load a PDF witn an embedded 3D model.

I've played with Acrobat 3D a bit, and that's is what got me interested in using it as an review/approval tool. Unfortunately I don't own a license to Acrobat Standard/Pro and have been waiting to hear from others how the 3D PDF format is working for them before shelling out $700. I've already got a way to put 3D interactive models online, but it would be nice to add measuring or commenting as well.

I've found an apparent temporary workaround!  From SolidWorks 2010, save the file as a binary parasolid (yourfile.x_b) then have Acrobat 9 Pro Extended convert the .x_b file into a 3D pdf.  The resolution is good, much better than saving the file as a 3D pdf directly from SolidWorks.  I have not tested this workaround extensively, so use it at your own risk.

Dan Kuras

Mid-America Machining

Brooklyn, MI