I was really confused about how changes to the Bump Strength (BS) and Texture Scale Multiplier (TSM) are applied. After some experimentation I think I have it sorted out, but I have some criticisms/suggestions:
- If your appearance menu screen isn't large enough, controls like TSM are hidden, and you have to hit a "flyout" button to access.
- Suggestion - make the screen a fixed size, or at least make it so those key adjustments can be hidden.
- BS is an absolute value, but TSM is a multiplier but both are expressed as a %.
- Suggestion - make them both an absolute value, or remove the % from the BS; this is way too confusing.
- TSM has an apply button, but BS doesn't; applying a change to the TSM does not affect a change to the BS, and visa versa.
- Suggestion - I appreciate that this isn't so cut and dry if TSM remains a multiplier...you need an apply button because you don't want it automatically changing the scale by x% every time you update the appearance. If you suspend color and BS changes and had a single apply button at the bottom of the screen that effects all changes, the TSM would have to default to 100% after each application to avoid the situation I mentioned above... seems much easier to make it an absolute value.
IMHO, I think the PhotoWorks menus work fine, and it would be nice to see their functionality brought forward in some way into the 2011 product.
Just my 2¢