17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 10:16 AM by Gert Jansen

Slow Checkin/Checkout of Documents in Workgroup PDM

Shane Rickert

I am looking for ways to speed up check-in and check-out of parts and assemblies in Workgroup PDM.  Currently the check-in/check-out process can take up to 5 minutes.  Myself and other users also expierence slow SolidWorks 2009 performace when logged into Workgroup PDM.  We are open to any and all ideas to speed up our PDM and SolidWorks,  It really seems like the system has slowed down over the past year, and we're hoping someone else can shed some light on the situation.

Thanks,
      Shane

• Re: Slow Checkin/Checkout of Documents in Workgroup PDM
          Devon Sowell

Hi Shane-

It could so many different problems, here's a short list of items to check;

• Local computer hard drive almost full
          • Local computer Referenced Document locations not correct
          • Local computer Check Out Folder full
          • SolidWorks Explorer Search and Reference Document Folders mis-matched to SolidWorks
          • Service Pack mis-match between Client and Server
          • Too many In-Context External References used or they're in non-referenced folders
          • Not enough Network Bandwidth
          • Network Server disk almost full
          • Network disc needs DeFrag
          • Vault needs Rebuilding

Cheers,

Devon Sowell

http://www.pdmsolution.com

Kenneth Barrentine

To add to Devon's list, PDMWW is notorious for memory leaks.

Sometimes stopping and restarting the service is not enough and a restart is necessary.  It's not uncommon to restart once a week.

Also, check the "validate vault" option in vault admin.

Mark Kot

Hi Shane,

If you have an additional antivirus scanner on your PDM Server scanning the *.sldxxx files, try turning it off.

Or try setting it up so it doesn't scan the solidworks extensions.

Mark

Keith Christle

Shane,

how many files do your workgroup PDM contain?

About a year ago, we were suffering from a similar experience caused due the physical size of our data. At that time we were host upwards of one million files and our VAR informed us that Workgroup was not designed to manage such a large database. Our end result required us to upgrade our vault system to Enterprise.

Keith

Steve Ostrovsky

I know this setting has caused slow downs for my customers in the past:

In Vault Area > RMB > PDMWorks Client Options (at bottom) > Command Defaults > Include Drawings

Turn that off and see if there's a difference. I saw one customer go from 10-12 minute wait on check-out dialog to something in the 30 second range (maybe even faster - I don't remember). It was trying to "locate" a drawing for each of the 1000+ files in the assembly we were checking out and turning that off simply grabbed the parts/assemblies.

Shane Rickert

Thank you to everyone for your replies, It looks like I have quite the list of potential solutions to dig through.  Here is a little more information about our network, maybe some options can be quickly eliminated.

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
                      • Dual Core AMD Opteron (tm)
                      • Processor 165
                      • 1.81 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM
                    • We have three hard disk drives for our server, all of these are included in a weekly defrag:
                      • C: listed as 114GB with 1% Free space
                      • D: listed as 350GB with 39% Free space
                      • F: an external backup drive listed as 931GB with 46% Free space.
                    • We are running PDMWorks Workgroup 2009 sp2.0 Build 0062 and most of our workstations are on the following:
                      • 2009 sp2.0 Build 0062
                      • 2009 sp4.0 Build 0083
                      • 2009 sp4.1 Build 0002
                    • We currently have around 450,000 files in our vault data folder, This is down from over 520,000 as I have been archiving some old projects.
                    • We recently replaced our network's megabit switch with a gigabit switch, I know connection speed is higher but not too sure if this affects bandwidth (There was little to no affect on checkin/checkout times)
                    • I do try to restart and validate the vault, but not every week usually every other month.
                    • This is our only server, so we run Microsoft Exchange E-mail from this same server, not sure if this makes any difference.

The following seems a bit odd to me.  I am not sure why we are spreading our PDM Works accross two drives:

• Archived files are stored in C:\VaultData\ArchiveDirectory
                    • Active files are stored in D:\Vault Data\VaultData
                    • We have another Archive that is not used located at D:\Vault Data\ArchiveDirectory
                    • We have a server.log file located at D:\Vault Data that has not logged anything past 5/23/2008
                    • We have another server.log file located at D:\Vault Data\VaultData\  That included items up to the present date.
                    • We also have a crash.log and two performance e-mail logs located at D:\Vault Data\VaultData\
                    • Indexing Service is not enabled and PDMWorks Catalog does not exist.

I really appreciate all your help, I look forward to reading your replies!

Thanks,

Shane

Steve Ostrovsky
                        I'm not a hardware expert, but 1% free space on your C drive would bother me. How does defrag work on a 1% free drive? I know your vault isn't on this drive, but there's a lot of other interaction probably occurring here. Also, with roughly half a million documents you are certainly pushing what PDMWorks was designed to handle.
                          Kenneth Barrentine

I would guess the 450,000+ files is the issue.

IMO, anything over 250,000 is pushing it.

How many projects are they spread across?

Remember that the vault will act just like windows when you get over about 2,000 files in a folder (project).

You can't defrag unless you have at least 15% free space.

The archive path can be changed to D:\ via the vaultadmin tool.

As far as exchange server, it depends on the mail frequency and volume.

It wouldn't hurt to have a dedicated server.

Shane Rickert
                              We have somewhere between 500 and 800 projects in our vault.  I have archived everything but our common parts and most recent projects, and have been successful in cutting the size of the vault from 120GB down to around 80GB, but that only took our file count from well over 500,000 down to 450,000.  We are now down to around 10-15 active projects, and we have an obscene ammount of files still active in the vault.  I just cannot figure out where all these files are; unless our common parts have a few hundred revisions each and our current jobs had a few thousand each, which seems highly unlikely given the revision trends I have seen while archiving past projects.
                              Gert Jansen
                              • Archived files are stored in C:\VaultData\ArchiveDirectory
                              • Active files are stored in D:\Vault Data\VaultData
                              • We have another Archive that is not used located at D:\Vault Data\ArchiveDirectory

It seems like all the archived drawings & components are stored on C, instead of D.

If C: is the drive where you only have 1% of free space, then that's not looking good if more projects need to be archived...

We solved a similar problem by moving all SolidWorks-related stuff to a completely new and dedicated server..

Apart from SolidWorks there's nothing on it.

I guess that because it's your only server, that it's also your Domain Controller, DNS Server, DHCP server, File & Print Server etc ...

That was also the case in our setup, and in the end that proved to be too much.