9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 11:33 PM by Alexander Carrasquillo

Flow arround rotating propeller

Sahaj Panchal

Hi there,

I'm trying to analyze the fluid flow around an simple propeller with three blades (.sldprt, with a blade created by loft and than circular pattern).

I've done this so far.....The simulation wizard > External Flow > rotation > Global Rotation (Z axis..3500 RPM) > Initial Vel. = 20 m/s in -z dir. (I've skipped other obvious steps to mention over here).

Well, according to me, I dont see anything wrong in the simulation steps I've done above. But the simulation doesnt run. It never starts for the case. I've done the simulation without rotating conditions, it runs perfactly, but it's a propeller, it's built to rotate! So can anyone please tell me what could be the problem?

Or simply how to setup an external simulation problem with global rotating frame?

Regards,

Sahaj Panchal.

• Re: Flow arround rotating propeller
          Kristofer Skyttner

Your setup sounds ok. Have you tested the same procedure with a simpler part, a block for example? Does the "Check Geometry" - function result in any erros?

//Kristofer Skyttner

Ameer Chilakala

Hi,

Use local rotating region options to simulate the flow around the impeller i.e. you need to create the cylindrical part which covers the impeller and disable the cylindrical part in the component control and give the rpm to the disabled cylindrical part. kindly let me konw if i am wrong.

Regards,

Ameer.C

Sahaj Panchal

Hello Ameer Chilakala,

Thank you for your answer. The simulation set up works perfect with defining the local boundary region and then manually setting up other walls as stationary.

Also, the original problem I'm concerning with (global rotating region) works well, but everytime I need to restart the solidworks and redefine the bcs.

Anyways, it works. That's all.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sahaj Panchal.

Emir Heco

Hello Sahaj,

I have a similar  problem I'm working on and I could use a little help.  I'm a little confused as to how exactly you solved our problem. In all these cases the thing rotating is the air around the object. Is there any way to rotate the actual object to "stir" up the air. There is a youtube video which does this with a centrifugal pump, but I don't understand how they get the actual movement of parts and not air.

Thanks,

Emir

Kristofer Skyttner

"The component representing the rotating region must be a body  of revolution, so that the rotating part or device is fully enclosed within this  component, and the component's axis of revolution must coincide with the  rotation axis." - Creating a Rotating Region, SW2010 help

I think the rotating region also needs to be a revolved part, not just a cylinder.

Regards

Kristofer Skyttner

Hi,

I am simulating the flow over a propeller which is moving at 7000rpm. I am not sure how you have managed to simulate the flow while the propeller is spinning. Is that posible?

Can you give motion to the propeller and start a simulation at the same time in order to have a realistic environment?

Could you explain the steps that you have followed to get the simulation running?

Thank you very much for your help. I will post my results as soon as I solve them.

JP

Alexander Carrasquillo

Hello,

I am having a similar issue. Instead of the whole propeller issue though I am simple interested in showing the results of the Kutta Jukouski theroem for spinning cylinder in flow. I can generate the flow analysis of the a non moving cylinder but when I try to add rotation through the flow wizard and hit run it tells me that it cannot create the basic mesh.  Does anyone have  a list of conditions or steps you need to do after exiting th wizard?