10 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2010 9:30 AM by Dwight Livingston

Hide 'unused' zero's in dimensions

Checkcheck Master

In my document properties for drawings the decimal adjustement for dimensions is set to 3 decimals.

For example with a dimension 31.5 mm Solidworks shows me 31.500.

I'm not interested in the last two zero's, in my opinion mathematicly spoken they have no function at all.

Is there an other way then adjust the decimals to 1 digit to get rid of them ?

It would be comfortable to keep the 3 digit setting and Solidworks hidding automaticly the 'unused' zero's.

Otherwise with the 1 decimal setting as standard there is a risk that exact dimensions wich need the 3 decimals 'disapear'.

Greetings !

• Re: Hide 'unused' zero's in dimensions
          Jeff Holliday

I'm pretty sure that the trailing zeroes are removed by default if you have your dimensioning set to use ISO instead of ANSI. this can be either a good or bad thing depending on how your tolerance block info is set on your drawings.

Dwight Livingston
              They _should_ be removed if you are set to ANSI and your units are metric, according to the standard. I tried that (SW2009 SP4.1) and find that under the "SMART" setting the zeros are removed only for integer values (1.000 mm becomes 1 mm) but not for whole tens or whole hundreths (1.100mm stays 1.100mm). I'd say it was broken.
                  Dwight Livingston

Dwight Livingston wrote:

They _should_ be removed if you are set to ANSI and your units are metric, according to the standard. I tried that (SW2009 SP4.1) and find that under the "SMART" setting the zeros are removed only for integer values (1.000 mm becomes 1 mm) but not for whole tens or whole hundreths (1.100mm stays 1.100mm). I'd say it was broken.

I find now (in SW2010 at least) that the "Smart" setting simply leaves the trailing zero setting as it was. If you set it to "Show" and then to "Smart", the zeros show. If you set it to "Remove" and then to "Smart", the zeros are removed. Is this smart?

Also, I was again tripped up by having a trailing zeros control both in the "Annotations" section of the options and in the "Dimensions" section. Takes me a while to figure out why the settings don't take when I change it one place and not the other.

And why, if you set the standard as "ANSI" and the units as "millimeters" doesn't it handle training zeros per the standard? That would seem the best option.

Mark Larson

therein is the rub, there is no such thing as an exact dimension, the trailing zero's have mathematical function in establishing the tolerance zone

Josh Brady

Trailing zeros have no mathematical function.

They may have function in your drawing as an indicator of tolerance if your title block specifies tolerances by decimal places in the dimension. Not everyone uses title block tolerancing.

All dimensions are exact.  Tolerances show how much the manufactured part may deviate from the dimension, but the dimension itself is exact.

Mark Larson

maybe Bill Clinton should be called to establish what the meaning of "is" is

if you are talking dogs or #6-32 panhead screws, yeah, whole numbers are exact

but in measurement, even disregarding tolerance, the number 31 is a number from 30.5 to 31.4999..

31.0 is 30.95 to 31.049999...

no measurement is exact, there is always measurement error

the trailing zero's are significant, whether you want to say they have a function is up to you and Bill Clinton.

Jeff Holliday
                            In a former job, I spent several years doing mil-std drafting. The official standard was that the number of decimal places MUST be the same as the number of decimal places in the tolerance for the dimension.
                              Josh Brady

Dimensions are not measurements.  Dimensions are exact.  Measurements have error.  Trailing zeros on measurements are significant.  Trailing zeros on an exact number are not.  31 on a drawing means 31 exactly.  It means the same thing as 31.0, 31.00, and 31.000.  The tolerance determines acceptable part measurement deviation from 31.  The acceptable tolerance may be defined in many ways.  Some people use title block tolerancing where the number of decimal places defines the tolerance if no other tolerance is stated.  Others use standard fabrication tolerances based on the size of the dimension and the process used to reach it.