30 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2010 11:51 AM by 1-21D5ZA

System Resources Message

John Thornton

I keep getting a System Resources running low message. I watched the memory in the task manager and it is at about 0 to 15% so it is not a lack of memory. I have 5 things open including the task manager and SW. Outlook, this window, Chatzilla and the Windows media player. Not much really.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

• Re: System Resources Message
          Wayne Tiffany

32 bit system?  3Gb switch on?  Uservalue set?

WT

John Sweeney

Hi John,

Do you recall what the actual message was concerning the low system resources?  Was the "low resources" message you saw one of the ones below?

"You are critically low on desktop application resources. Close some other applications or some SolidWorks documents to free up resources, then click OK to continue using SolidWorks."

"You have exceeded your desktop application resources. Close SolidWorks and consider restarting your computer to completely free up resources."

"You have depleted your desktop application resources. Close some other applications or some SolidWorks documents immediately and consider restarting SolidWorks."

If you are seeing one of the messages above,, then the 3GB switch is not going to help (see my post in https://forum.solidworks.com/message/137657#137657 for more details.) 

I also wanted to be sure you know that there are drawbacks with the 3GB switch.  It will limit the kernel to 1Gb of usable space which can cause high-end graphics cards to run out of space and other system resource allocation issues, such as large "cut and paste" operations to fail.  There are lots of articles covering the topic, and the potential drawbacks, including:  http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/23/memory-management-demystifying-3gb.aspx

Best Regards,

John

John Thornton

The message was this one I'm pretty sure.

"You are critically low on desktop application resources. Close some other applications or some SolidWorks documents to free up resources, then click OK to continue using SolidWorks."

John

John Thornton

I read your link and checked my SharedSection parameters and they are at 512 now which appears to be the max for that setting in XP according to this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126962

John

John Sweeney

Hi John,

A few questions for you:

1. Do you have a lot of windows open inside SolidWorks or a lot of other apps, such as a bunch of Internet Explorer tabs?

2. Have you been running SolidWorks or other applications for a long time without restarting?

3. When did you last reboot the machine?

4. Does this issue happen frequently or is it only after doing something specific, such as, opening lots of models or working with applications for long periods without a restart/reboot?

Typically, a restart of the application and/or a reboot will free up the system's allocated handles.  The issue would be if it happens again on short order...

Thanks,

John

John Thornton

Sometimes I have a lot of windows open in SW.

I don't use IE unless I'm forced to with a gun and a whip, I use Firefox and usually don't have more than 6-8 tabs open.

About an hour ago on the reboot which I normally don't do. Should I reboot in the mornings or something like that?

I can't pin a specific action or lack of action that I do that causes it to happen. It does not happen often. hmmm

I'm going to change the 3GB back and see what happens. Seems like once I start getting the messages they don't stop till I do a reboot...

Thanks

John

Jeff Mirisola
                              Is there a reason you aren't shutting down at night? That question aside, yes, you should reboot in the morning. Doing so will release the stuff caught up in memory freeing up memory. Little bits and pieces of software minutae latch onto pieces of memory, tying it up until you reboot/shut down. The longer you go without doing either, the more memory gets sucked up.
                                John Sweeney

Hi John,

The operating system has a limit to the number of handles that applications can use.  These handles are seen by you as windows, menus, bitmaps, pens, fonts, etc..  Since this problem does not happen frequently for you, I would simply suggest restarting applications more often, which will free up all the handles and release them back to the OS, or to not load as many documents in Firefox, SolidWorks, Outlook, etc. at the same time.  As for rebooting your machine,  I'm sure there is some kind of rule-of-thumb for rebooting as a general cleanup procedure, but its not typically needed for the specific case you're running up against.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

John

John Thornton

I guess a boot would restart all my applications.

Thanks

John

John Thornton

Rebooting does not seem to change anything... I don't have much open a couple of window of Firefox and a couple of Solidworks files.

John

It seems the problem is fixed on my side.

Here's what did (in that order) :

- downloaded and installed Windows search 4.0

- installed new driver for graphics card (FX1700)

- did the 3GB switch operation

- when I rebooted, I had an issue with my graphics card, so...

- uninstalled it, and reinstalled with latest driver...

I think the fact that I reinstalled the graphics card so that it works on 3GB windows XP did something.

It does work very well now...

Hope that helps !

Cheers

Jerry Steiger

Guillaume,

Did you reinstall the same driver for your graphics card? I would think that the driver shouldn't care whether the 3 GB switch is set when it is installed. (The card may care whether or not the 3 GB switch is set when it is running because it has to share the more limited system memory with the operating system.) But I'm a mechanical engineer not a computer guy.

Jerry Steiger

Hi Jerry,

I agree with you, runnig a 3GB or normal mode should not change anything, regarding the graphics card.

But the problem we faced is undoubtely a memory issue, which is actually the main (only) reason to switch in 3GB.

the driver for the graphics card is the lastest one, that I installed before, and another time after the 3GB operation (6.14.11.8265)...

Cheers

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, I would really appreciate it if you could explain to me further what your are saying here. I have this problem too. I didn't before and I don't know what caused it. I can open large assemblies, move around, mate things, no problem, but if I close everything, start a new part, create a box and add 1 dimension I get the critically low on desktop resources message. I have no other programs running, not even virus protection.

I would like to follow the steps you took exactly but I'm not sure what you're talking about.

What is Windows search 4.0?

I did the graphics card driver upgrade

What is "the 3GB switch operation"?

I thank you in advance for your help

Teresa

Hi John,

Hi John,

I just registerded on the forum, so let me join your discussion...

I just installed, this monday, a 2010 solidworks standard (32bits) on an XP workstation.

THe specs are large: 3.25Gbram , Quadcore, Quadro1700... and heaps of space...

and I faced the same error message as you John.

What worries me is that the operations run on Solidworks were really light.

(only 2 windows, 1 assemlby, 1 part)...

and only a web-browser + outlook were running....

I also noticed the system was quite slow, particularly when the mouse gets over the Menu bar (quite strange)...

I was told by our software provider technicians that it was a Windows problem, and they did mention the 3gb switch.

But John, you said it wouln't solve the problem.

Any other thought ??

John Sweeney

Hi Guillaume,

What operation were you performing when you saw this error message?  Were you opening a file or trying to run a command to display a PropertyMgr?  If you start opening more tabs in your browser window, or more email documents, do they begin to loose UI items such as having a menu or toolbar buttons missing?

If you reboot and only use SolidWorks (ie: no Outlook or IE open) do you still get the warning message?

>I also noticed the system was quite slow, particularly when the mouse gets over the Menu bar (quite strange)...

Is your menu bar set to auto-hide itself and it is slow to slide out and show the main menu bar, or are you saying the drop-down menus are slow to display?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

A word about the menu bar, it was not set to auto-hide, and the scrolling display was indeed slow...

The operations I ran (at that time) were really light.

I had that error message while I was manipulating a 4-feature part, open in a other window than the assembly (3 parts) it was part of.

(+ outlook and internet browser).

I try to give as much information to those who face the same problem.

(you can see I fixed the problem in my replys to John and Jerry)

I felt that the memory ressources *the way the system deals with memory allocation) were not right on my previous system configuration.

Windows XP could not give priority to any software, and the paths to recovery, save, auto-save (actually all the operations that link solidworks to the operating system or the files locations) didn't look fully balanced.

That's why I mentionned Windows Search 4.0. Maybe it is a matter of file location. (sorry for the terms, I'm far from being a computer engineer, plus I'm french... what a mess !!)

Anyway, the 3 operations that are:

- windows search4.0

- 3GB switch

- graphics card update

were successfull...

Cheers.

-G-

John Sweeney

OK, thanks.  Let us know if you start seeing these heap warning messages in the future if you don't believe they are justified.

Best Regards,

John

Peter Holmi

Question: How much hard drive space is recommended for running simulations?

I am getting the same resources are low message.  I am running a Linear dynamic study with random noise applied over 5-355 Hz in 10 Hz increments.  The details are DOF=310K, Nodes=106K, Elements=56K, with 422 steps.  During the run, the STD file went to 10G, the CWR file went to 12.9G, and the CEP file went to 5.4G.  The result is that my hard drive nearly ran out of space during the simulation.  Following the run, I followed the advice above by closing SolidWorks and restarting.  The result is that one file, the CWR file remained at 16G.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

I get the "critically low system resources" message as well daily but am opening and closing a lot of files and have about 5+ other apps open. I noticed in Task Manager even if I close all the models in SWX, the application will still hold onto 2-3 GB of memory consistently. Only after closing SWX and stopping the license service can I reliably startup SWX again.

I researched the SharedSection in the windows registry, SharedSection=xxxx,yyyy,zzzz, and found you can increase it to 1024. My original was set to 1024,20480,768. I would think you could go higher.

After increasing the SharedSection, I get the low system resources less often.

XP X64

12 GB RAM

SWX 2010SP2.1

Alexander Holweg

Hello

I also get this low ressources message. Today afternoon I got it 3 times --see attachment (due I'm working on german version of SolidWorks the message is in german language ) At the moment I am working on a big import-assembly that comes from ProE and so had to go throu all the imported parts to fix bad surfaces in parts. I never hat a lot of windows open at the same time. My memory load was never higher than 3.6GB. Because I'm working on WinXPx64 there is no need for any 3GB switch to be set.

I have already deinstalled IE8 and closed all apps I don't need essentially when working with SolidWorks (Firewall,Antivirus, div. Adobe bachground threads, Firefox, MSOffice aso. ) but this had no effect andI don't have windows dektop search installed.

The low ressources message is also very annoying because I always have to shut down SolidWorks an restart and reloar /open of the big assembly (which is in total quite time consuming). I noticed when I  don't reboot my workstation it seems the error is ocurring faster than whith rebooting and the error is only there in SolidWorks. I'm also a modo and ProE user (where you also have lots&lots of windows open) but there I never had anyof this ' low ressources message'

@ Lawrence Tom

Where exactly can I find this settings in the registry? Did you have this message ever since again?

Here are my specs:

Dell490

WinXP64 SP2

16GB DDR2 667 FB-Dimm Ecc RAM

Xeon 5365 @ 3GHz

NvidiaFX4500 Driver-Date:11.04.2008 Version:6.14.11.7551

3DconnexionSpaceNavigator: ReleaseVersion 3.83 Driver:6.81 Firmware:4.04

SolidWorksOfficePremium2010SP2.1x64

PDMWorks2010Sp2.1x64

Alexander Holweg

Another thing I noticed in conjunction with the UI makes my SolidWorks also freeze every time:

Lets say I want to save a part,material, block or anything else in a new folder, after the 'save' click there first pops up the solidworks-explorerlike window where I see all the folders and directories. When I then want to create a new folder 'on the fly' (pressing the propriate icon on the upper right --> see attached image), SolidWorks2010Sp2.1x64 is freezing instantly so that I can only kill the process in the task manager and do a restart of SolidWorks.

Has anybody with the 'low ressources' issue experienced the same and or can verify this error?

On my computer this only occurs within SolidWorks.

In the ordinary Windows-Explorer I can create folders without problems...