6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 12:43 PM by Jerry Steiger

Measuring Text Width

I just want to know the exact width of some text I have written in a sketch. Text, once created, does not seem to allow the dimensioning tool to snap to any edges or points on the text, except for the "origin" point of the text. I just want to know the exact width from the widest points on the sentence I have written. The origin point is somewhere off to the left of where the actual letter starts, so it is not helpful, I only want to know actual text width. Plus there is no point on the opposite end of the text to measure to. I need to be able to measure the width of text in a sketch for centering and alignment. How is this possible?

Also, how can I space two words at a specified distance apart from the outermost tip of the last word to the innermost tip of the next word?

• Re: Measuring Text Width
          Deepak Gupta
          There is no way you can measure that. The best can be to draw a line and dimension it. Now select this line for a reference for writing the TEXT and you can set the text alignment to justify. With this, the text will be evenly placed across the line. So with controlling the line dimension, you can control the spacing of the words.
            Jeremy Feist

for centering text, we dra the text on a construction line and use the justification buttons in the text PM.

you should be able to use a simmilar approach to space 2 words. use 2 separate construction lines and 2 separate text objects - the left one right justified, the right one left justified.

Jeremy

Thank you for the suggestions. I have laid out my text with a defined distance between the two construction lines. As you can see in the screenshot, the actual width of the space between the letters is greater than the 18" distance I have specified. This is because the "origin point" of Text does not start at the actual location of the outermost edge of the letter. The best I can do from here is "guesstimate" the surplus distance between the two letters at a very close zoom level using two hand-drawn reference lines, then I must reduce my 18" width by that amount. Is there a more accurate way? This project will be inspected under 1/32" tolerances so I would like to be more accurate than a guess.
                Jerry Steiger

Drew,

As the other replies have pointed out, locating text "exactly" is not one of SolidWork's strengths, but I don't think that is much of a problem. Why are you worried about exactly how far apart the words are? If it is a question of appearance, then mathematical centering is not the answer. It's all about how it looks, and graphic artists and industrial designers locate text by how it looks, not by how it measures.

Jerry Steiger