6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 8:31 PM by Matt Lombard

What is the reason for "Type of projection" to be a sheet property and not a document property?

Teodor Boiesan

Presently (Solidworks 2010 SP2) the "type of projestion" is set as a sheet property. this allows for a multisheet drawing to have sheets with diferent settings of Projection type.

Try to move a projeted view from one sheet to an other that has this property set diferently. - the move is permited.

The moved view will have a new projected direction !

There sould not be allowed to have diferent setings of projection type in the same document.

Please give me an example where this would be justified.

Thanks

Teodor

• Re: What is the reason for "Type of projection" to be a sheet property and not a document property?
          Matt Lombard
          I don't think anyone would defend this. I just don't think anyone has made a big deal about it before. You're right, it's wrong, but there is a lot of stuff that's wrong. Submit an enhancement.
          • Re: What is the reason for "Type of projection" to be a sheet property and not a document property?
            Mark Larson

I'll defend it.

SW allows you to have a different setting of projection for each sheet and the views on these sheets conform to the setting. How is that wrong? If it allowed you to move a view from one sheet to another and did not change projection to match the sheet, it would be possible to have views in the same sheet that have different projection.  THAT would really be wrong.

If you do not like the ability to have different projections on different sheets, DON'T DO IT, do not have sheets with different projection, make the projection the same on each sheet, you'll not have a problem.

If you want different projection on the same sheet, submit an enhancement request for it. But I suggest you include a note under each view stating what projection is used to avoid confusion.

Matt Lombard
                Out of curiosity, when would you want to have different sheets in the same file with different projection methods? Can you cite any standard that allows it? In the interest of narrowing the options to what is reasonable, projection type should be a document property. I can't think of a reason to have it different or a standard that allows it. Notes indicating the projection type are usually found on the front page of a drawing, and considered not needed on subsequent pages. I don't think there is anything to defend here.
                    Mark Larson

sure, I can cite a standard, one that supercedes all others: when the guy that signs my paycheck says to

If I had my way only third angle projection would be allowed and all drawings would be done in English. That's the way I learned. But who am I to say that the guys & gals outside the U.S. have to do it my way? Many of them likely aren't fond of inches, which, if I had my way would not be used. When you combine company's from different parts of the world, and the documents they've made, are you going to re-document everything or are you gonna concentrate on getting something productive done? I'm about as excited to redo someone else's documents as no doubt they are to redo mine. Not at all, especially when those documents have been proven to be good. Basically what you are asking for is to prohibit slapping together a document from Europe or Asia with one from the US unless you edit or redo one of them. I cannot ever recall different projections causing a problem, most people don't even understand there is a projection system let alone there are two and the differences between them. The first time I ever encountered it, it made me wonder a bit if the guy knew what he was doing, but I just figured he used a different language and measurement system so I chucked it off as a different way to document things too. No biggie, I understood the info he was trying to convey, didn't cause a problem.

Matt Lombard

If you're an engineer responsible for a project, are you gonna send an American shop a First Angle drawing combined with Third Angle drawings? Let's just for a moment step out from behind the excuse that your boss might tell you to do it. Would you knowingly send a single SolidWorks drawing file with mixed projections?

I can see projections not causing problems if you call attention to them, but at the minimum they are going to cause someone to spend extra time looking at the drawing, and at worst your parts can be made incorrectly.

As for one part designed to be made in one country, and another part designed to be made in another - why would they both be inside the same SolidWorks document.

From a CAD administration point of view separating the projection types by document makes sense. I think it would take a severe lack of discipline to make a single SolidWorks drawing document that mixed projection types. I understand what you're saying from a bohemian ultimate flexibility point of view, but I don't think I've ever worked anywhere that would tolerate that. If a drawing with a different projection went out as part of a drawing package, it would at least have red stamps all over it calling attention to the difference.

Anyway, SolidWorks drafting standards only allow for a single projection type, and if you want to use multiple projection types you have to over-ride the standard.