3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 8:29 AM by 1-A5CHD1

Vault folder structure

Jason Capriotti

Seems companies are either Product based or Project based. Most of the example of the file vault I've seen are project based. Since we are Product based, just curious what are some typical vault layouts for companies that are Product based.

Anyone care to post some screen shots or describe what kind of folders structure they use?

1. Do you separate purchased parts/drawings from product parts/drawings?
      2. Do store drawings and models in the same folder or separate?
      3. Do store all file types (Acad, Swx, ProE, etc) that represent drawings in one folder?
      4. Where do you store ECO documentation, under the product or at the root level?
        • Re: Vault folder structure
          Alessandro Frattini

I use only Product based or Project based.

Everything inherent to the Product based or Project based is inserted in the Product based or Project based.

I use search tool to find something.

I would like a shape search tool as http://www.partbrowser.com/features.php or http://3dpartfinder.com/

1. We separate purchased parts. They are put into the Design Library.
            2. Models and drawings are in the same folder.
            3. Generally, yes.
            4. ECO documentation is web-based in our company.

We break down our folder structure into major components (assemblies) of our machines.

2008 wrote:

Seems companies are either Product based or Project based. Most of the example of the file vault I've seen are project based. Since we are Product based, just curious what are some typical vault layouts for companies that are Product based.

Anyone care to post some screen shots or describe what kind of folders structure they use?

1. Do you separate purchased parts/drawings from product parts/drawings?
            2. Do store drawings and models in the same folder or separate?
            3. Do store all file types (Acad, Swx, ProE, etc) that represent drawings in one folder?
            4. Where do you store ECO documentation, under the product or at the root level?
              Jeremy Feist

we are just launching our Vault.

we have one folder tree for our assemblie (models and drawings, including legacy dwg) and a sparate tree for all components - puchased, manufactured, and customer supplied (again models and drawings together). we also kept our sub-folder setup that we had in windows which breaks it down to 200 part numbers per folder - we have ~5500 parts and ~25000 assemblies.

ECO swill be in a separate folder wehen we start using that part of the workflow.

Jeremy