11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 1:14 PM by Wayne Tiffany

How to change a file reference in a drawing in 2010?

Brian Dalton

This is something that I did on a daily basis with 2007.  It was quick and easy.

Now with 2010 I find it is essentially impossible.  I've gone through the help file and tried every option they list.  It simply won't work.

If anyone has done this or knows why I can't please give me a clue.  These pointless interface changes drive me nuts!

• Re: How to change a file reference in a drawing in 2010?
          Wayne Tiffany

I haven't tried it yet, but if it's the same as the other interfaces (P&G, etc.) then the new method is to hold the Ctrl key as you double-click on the file location.  If that doesn't work, then please post a pic of the issue you are having.

WT

John Lhuillier

Yes in 2010 you have to hold the CTRL key when you change files in the drawings when opening using FILE OPEN > REFERENCES. When you go to pick on the file you want to change DON'T pick on the file name but pick on the ICON to the left of the file name. Double picking on the file name STILL forces you to type the file name and won't allow you to browse for it.

A real "GOOD" enhancement that should never have been made.

Kenneth Barrentine

double click + ctrl key = illogical

what were they thinking.

Brian Dalton

Thanks a million, John... that worked like a treat.  It's gratifying (in an unfortunate sense) to see that so many others are as disappointed in this 'enhancement' as I am...

Interesting note...  My initial problem occurred when I wanted to change the reference of a drawing to a model which was in a different folder than the original reference.  That meant that I needed to change both the path and the filename.  When I typed both into the fields manually (and carefully checked to ensure that they were correct) SW2010 simply told me it couldn't find the file.  Clearly a bug of some sort.  Thus was I initially stymied.

Then, this morning I had to change a reference to a file that was in the same folder as the original file. I typed the new filename but left the path unchanged... SW2010 seemed to accept this without a problem, but I found that it has not changed the reference at all.  Apparently this 'type in the changes' feature is severely dysfunctional.

Gratefully, I was able to use the CTRL + Dbl Click method successfully.  Again, thanks to all, especially John.

John Lhuillier

I've noticed something in 2010 SP2 with this. If I double pick on the text of the file to replace it wants me to type the file name but if I double pick on the ICON to the left of the file name it will let me browse without having to hold the control key. Not sure whether this is an update for this but this would be a good solution to appease everyone and not have to hold down any keys

sandeep manikonda

Quote from Brian:

Interesting note... My initial problem occurred when I wanted to change the reference of a drawing to a model which was in a different folder than the original reference.  That meant that I needed to change both the path and the filename.  When I typed both into the fields manually (and carefully checked to ensure that they were correct) SW2010 simply told me it couldn't find the file.  Clearly a bug of some sort.  Thus was I initially stymied.

-----------------

Hi Brian,

Iam presently using SW08, did not work in SW2010 yet, but was curious to know why was it required to change/re-type the path when you pointed SW to a file of another folder. I mean, when we browse to a folder and select a file, the path must update automatically . If its not updating, i guess there isnt much use showing the path there. Is it really required to fill in both the fields?

May be in a week or two, we will be using SW2010.

-Sandeep

Brian Dalton
                              Well, if you choose to type in the file reference manually, you must include the path, which must be different if the new file is in a different directory than the original.  I can't imagine why anyone would prefer this to simply browsing for the new file and strangely enough, I found that the 'type it in' method simply didn't work anyway.  Truly a massively bug-filled feature, which I hope they will sort out soon.  I'm doing OK now that somebody (notably NOT SolidWorks themselves) made available to me the vital detail (left out of the help file) that one must CTRL-dblclick the tiny little icon NEXT TO the file name in order to access the file browsing function.  Truly unintuitive and inexcusably undocumented.
                                  Wayne Tiffany

A case to be made for the type-in availability is that I have most of my working paths tied to macros such that it's much faster to hit the hotkey and have a long path type in rather than browse level by level.

Browsing is always slow because it's a distinct series of clicks and waiting fo the previous click to be implemented.  Typing might be slower, but not necessarily.  Macro in of a long path will just about always be faster.

WT

Steve Rath

You also have to hold down the ctrl key to change preferences in 2009 sp5 as I found out today. Glad I found this thread, it cured my headache.