13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 10:41 AM by John Sweeney

Problem using measure tool

Brian Endres

I have been trying to get this to work, but finally gave up and figured I'd post it.  If I zoom in to a large object and use the measure tool, the results are usually not in my current viewing area, I have to "Zoom to Fit" in order to see the results.  Has anybody else seen this with 2010?

brian

• Re: Problem using measure tool
          Jeremy Mortl
          Can't say that I've ever had this problem. All of my measurements show up in the measure dialog box. Maybe your measure box isn't expanded.
              Brian Endres

Nope, the measure dialog box isn't the problem.  There is usually a measurement in a box with a leader next to it showing the measurement - I usually use that more than the dialog itself.  For some reason, in 2010, this is usually not in my current viewing area (I thought that it worked ok in 2009), until I zoom out.

See attached screenshots.

Jeremy Mortl
                  Well mine does that too. I guess I never noticed.
                      Brian Endres
                      Oops, I just tried this out in 2009 and it's the same.  I must have always been lucky and had the measurement pop up in my active viewing window and assumed it got broken in 2010.  I get that I can file it as an enhancement request, but...  probably not.
                          John Sweeney

Hi Brian,

I just tried creating a very long and thin part (400 ft long) and I don't see the problem.  I can zoom in with the Measure tool open, or with it closed and upon opening it and selecing an edge, it shows the on-screen info OK (see image).  If you clear-selections and reselect the item, does it work properly? How big is the part you are using? Can you think of anything "unique" about the part or your settings that may cause you to see it?  Do you see it on all of your large files?

I see that you are using x64.  Larry, are you also on an x64 machine?  I'm using Win7 x32.

Also, a side note for those who may be unaware...  For simple measurements on or between analytic geometry (ie - lines, arcs, planar faces) we show basic measurement information in the status bar.  You don't even need to open the Measure tool.  If you're only interested in basic length, angle, diameter, etc informatio just pick the geometry and check the status bar value!

Thanks,

John

Josh Brady

John,

Since you're here and talking about measuring and the status bar, I do have a couple of comments on it.

I used to use the status bar information quite often.  It's really nice not to have to activate the measure tool and then exit it.  However, there are a couple of drawbacks.

One is that it won't tell you the pitch between two cylinders or a cylinder and an edge or face.  I know it will do that for circular edges (rather than cylinders) but it's usually easier to pick a face.

The other is that if I'm running SW across two screens, that area of the status bar may be quite far away from where I'm working.  I have to actually move my head to be able to read it.

Those two factors were what prompted me to create the macro in this thread.  It does almost the same thing as the status bar measurement, except it writes the measurement in a Tooltip-like thing right next to the cursor.  You might take a look and see if something like that might be added (with an option to turn it off, of course!) to the UI.

Paul Marsman

"with an option to turn it off"  <---- haha.... NO, if there are new features that we think you'll like we'll force you to use them weather you like them or not because we know what's best for all users of SolidWorks.  

sorry John, no direct offense meant by that... just couldn't resist.  Josh is right though... some of these new features are getting more intrusive on the screen (which is needed for less movements) but at the same time if you don't like it you must agree that the option to just flat out turn it off should be there as well.  I'm now stepping down from my soap box.

John Sweeney

OK, Jim was able to reproduce the issue and is yelling at me across the hall ;-)   If I use a measurement between two parallel faces I can reproduce the problem.  We draw a line between the two centroids of the faces and then attach the callout text to it.  The callout text (at least) should be shown on screen but it is not.

I'll pass along an SPR number once we write it up.

Thanks guys...

-John

Josh Brady
                              Try this measure tool.  It's a macro that stays active and automatically measures when you make certain selections.  The measurement value is presented in a little popup message beside the cursor.
                                  John Sweeney

Hi Josh,

I tried your macro... nice job.  I'm sure that some users will prefer your display option.  With regard to the selection types supported, we limited the status bar feedback to a handful of simple geometry types and simple measurement calculations for quick and easy access to the most common measurements. It looks like you may have a few selection combinations that we chose not to support.

Thanks,

John

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

Failure to show the on-screen measurement results for two selected faces when zoomed in to certain parts of a model has been given SPR 534482.   Unfortunately, the only workaround at this time is to zoom out so you can see the line and measurement results that we are drawing between the face centroids.

Thanks for the input...

Best Regards,

John