9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 12:26 PM by Emil Andersson

Edges on shaded views

Emil Andersson

Edges in shaded views on drawing sheets lost quality when we installed 2010 booth SP0.0 and SP1.0. We have played with all settings in different combinations and can't found what is wrong. We used to print shaded views either in colour or B/W and the edges where as sharp as if the views where set to Hidden Lines Removed. We have printed on different printers and PDF with same result. Also, the lower quality of edge shows in the previews as well.

Anyone out there with same problem? What should we try in regards of settings for optimal quality?

I can creat more screen shots or other file formats if that would help.

Attached is a sample and note that we where used to same quality of edge shaded or not, now it's a big differences.

Thanks,

Emil

Shaded View.jpg

• Re: Edges on shaded views
          Anna Wood

What settings have you played with?

Does turning on Anti-Aliasing help?  Tools > options > System Options > Display/Selection > Anti-alias edges/sketches

Cheers,

Anna

Deepak Gupta

Open the drawing and go to Tools > Options > Document Properties > Image Quality and increase the image quality or move the solder to right side under Shaded and draft quality HLR/HLV resolution and check.

Is this on all the drawings all the time, or is it a random problem? Typically my drawings have a shaded with edges ISO view in one corner, the last couple of releases I've seen a random problem with the edge quality on the shaded with edges views. SW2010 SP1.0 has actually been pretty good for me.

There would also be the usual suspects like views set to draft quality, document image quality set low, or parts loaded lightweight.

Charles Culp

It sounds like you understand what I am about to say, so please excuse me going over the basics again. In forums it is always difficult for me to judge what the other people do and don't understand.

One thing you need to be aware of is that when Solidworks first opens up a drawing, it loads the drawing views in a draft mode. This is basically bitmap images of what each of the views look like, and is a "preview" so you can continue working while it finishes loading. This will produce the rough, aliased edges shown in your images. If you wait for the drawings to fully load, and for the views to fully resolve, it will go away.

You can tell when it is still loading the views by looking at the feature manager tree. Make sure it is expanded to show the drawing views, then you look to see if there is an hourglass over the icons for each view. That hourglass means that they are still loading, and will not have the full drawing view resolution. If you open up a drawing and immediatly print, it will also print these draft views, both for PDFs and for printers.

Emil Andersson

Thanks for all the info, I'll check if I had missed any of your suggested settings.

I just learned that one of my coworkers (we are 6-7 that uses SW) where able ot print edges sharp. We all like, what? and we are now comparing settings to see if we can figure it out.

I'm putting some screen shots togeter along with some pdfs that shows how it looks like. I'll post that info here later today or tomorrow.

Later,

Emil

Anna Wood

Emil,

This post also may be something that applies to your situation.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/136494

Cheers,

Anna

Emil Andersson

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions.

After testing back and forth a lot I believe that this is a graphic card issue, not a SW issue.

I found that some coworkers and I have a Quadro FX1400. Jonathan who can print fine has FX1100......  So, I updated the Graphic card driver, still the same result. so, I tried the Quadro Pash suggested by Anna Wood and settings dicussed in that post (I did this with the older driver installed and the new one) and only found that the prints could be worse, not better.

So, I still don't have a solution on this problem but maybe with this additional information you can help me further,

Emil

For the trouble shooting of this problem I have some more info in regards of SW and Printer settings below ...

This is a zoomed in detail of a PDF print (looks the same on paper from any printer) from using the same file and printer settings.

To the Left is from my computer and the one on the right is form Jonathans.

Sample of PDF Print.jpg

Below is the printing settings used. Note that we ahve tried multiple of settings combinations here with same or worse result, not better.

Page Setup -- Adobe PDF.bmp

Adobe PDF Document Properties.bmp

Adobe PDF Converter Advanced Options.bmp

Other settings we have tried is

"System Options - Display/Selection -Anti-alias......." checked or not

"Document Properties - Image Quality - " High quality on shaded and wireframe, also Optimize edge lenght on or off

Emil Andersson

Case Closed

SP2.0 was just released and now the edges is back to what they should be (Jonathan still clames that his prints are better though, smile)...

Thanks again for the inputs!

Emil