8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 3:25 PM by John Sweeney

SAVING MOUSE GESTURES?

Adam Scheible
      Is there a way to save out mouse gestures to move settings to another computer?
        • Re: SAVING MOUSE GESTURES?
          Daniel Smith

I believe all you have to do is use the copy settings wizard and save to a usb or other media.

Matthew Lorono

Has anyone tried saving mouse gestures from one system and importing them to another?

Matt Lorono

SolidWorks Legion

Twitter: fcsuper

Adam Scheible
                     This afternoon I went from a WinXP-32 box to Win7-64 and the Copy Settings Wizard did NOT pick up mouse gestures settings.  However, I just tried tonight with the Win7-64 box and it did revert back to a previous mouse gestures setup  So, I can confirm that it works on Win7-64 using SWX2010 1.0 (64bit).
                      John Sweeney

Hi Adam,

I can't tell from your post whether you are seeing a problem for some situations (ie:  32 to x64) but not for other situations.  The Copy Settings Wizard should work in all cases for saving/restoring the Mouse Gesture settings and it should work properly for the various combinations of machine/OS type.

In general, if anyone is seeing failures to save settings, be sure you are running the matching version of the "Copy Settings Wizard" for the version of SolidWorks that you are saving settings (ie: use the "Copy Settings Wizard" 2010 for saving SolidWorks 2010 values). This info is shown on the first wizard page in the text next to the "Save Settings" button.  Also, be sure that you have run SolidWorks at least once on the machine where you are saving settngs because the wizard pulls values from HKEY_CURRENT_USER portion of the registry which is only written to after you run SolidWorks and perform your UI customizations.

When restoring settings, you now have the option in SolidWorks 2010 to restore settings from older versions of SolidWorks... so, if you dump out a 2009 version of your SolidWorks settings, you would now see an option to restore it into SolidWorks 2009 or into SolidWorks 2010.  Naturally, if the settings being restored are from an older version of SolidWorks, then certain settings such as Mouse Gestures would not be applied since this functionality didn't exist in 2009 and earlier.

I hope this helps...

Best Regards,

John

Paul Marsman

John Sweeney wrote:

...Also, be sure that you have run SolidWorks at least once on the machine where you are saving settngs...

I guess I'm confused by this statement... how can you save your settings if you haven't run SolidWorks at least once to make the changes you want to save out?  I guess thinking about it if you do an upgrade and try and save out your settings for the new version without running that new version first... is that the possibility you are speaking of?

John Sweeney

Hi Paul,

I guess thinking about it if you do an upgrade and try and save out your settings for the new version without running that new version first... is that the possibility you are speaking of?

Yes.  It would probably happen when someone is moving to a new version, and perhaps running the wrong version of the Copy Settings Wizard.   In theory, you can run the Copy Settings Wizard at any time and its not always clear which version is running unless you pay close attention.  The snippet you've highlighted is a minor point, but something to be aware of if you find that settings are not being saved correctly.  Simply be sure you've run the version of SolidWorks that matches the wizard version you are running.

Best Regards,

John

Daniel Smith
                              So in layman's terms your saying,  run SW then install Saved Settings.  Correct?
                                  John Sweeney

Hi Daniel,

When restoring settings, it is not required to run that version of SolidWorks first.

I would guess that most of you do not use this option when restoring settings, but on the 3rd wizard page ("Select the Destination") our second option for restoring to network computers actually requires that you have NOT run any SolidWorks sessions on that computer for any version.

Best Regards,

John