20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 9:09 AM by John Stoltzfus

How to rename sheet tabs

Matt Kirby
      Is there a way to rename all sheet tabs at once in a drawing. If I re-order any of them with drag and drop they all get out of order. I used a macro for doing this in Inventor. Does one exist for Solidworks that does the same thing? Thanks for any help.
        • Re: How to rename sheet tabs
          Kelvin Lamport

I don't know of a macro for that.

Most people I know, name the sheet upon creation per what it contains rather than just the default sheet number.

Matt Kirby

Thanks for the reply.

If you use multi sheet drawings like me and have many sheets in one drawing what do you do if you want to create a sheet between say sheet 1 and 2 ? Do I just rename every sheet after that with the correct number? That could easily be 100 or more sheets to rename.

Tony Szuta

Matt,

Here is a macro that I put together. It adds a number to each tab. I can be easily modified for the text you need added.

Edit: I apologize. I attached the wrong macro. I will find the correct one and post it for you.

Kenneth Barrentine

"That could easily be 100 or more sheets to rename."

That's just insane (that you have 100+ sheet drawings).

What kind of performance do you get when working in a 100+ sheet drawing?

The tabs mean nothing.  Sure it's nice to have everything neat and orderly but what if you follow Kelvin's suggestion, there are no numbers.

Surely people can follow some basic logic and get over the fact the tabs don't match the drawing sheets.  The drawing sheets will always be in order.

Trying to convey all information in one drawing is like trying to model a completed part with one sketch, it's just not the best use of the tool.

Kelvin Lamport

That's just insane (that you have 100+ sheet drawings).

What kind of performance do you get when working in a 100+ sheet drawing?

Not at all insane. It would (probably) be better than having 100 individual sheets open.

The performance will depend on the computer specs, the complexity of the parts/assys being detailed, and the number of views being used.

My largest drawing has only 52 sheets but, although it is slower to load and save, it is no slower to edit than a single sheet drawing.

Matt Kirby

I have been using multi sheet drawings in Inventor for years. I will admit the performance does slow down a bit after I get that many sheets but if nothing needs to update it works great for me. How would you get the automated sheet numbering for the project doing it another way? Inventor uses the tab names to create the filenames when exporting to Autocad (I do this alot). After looking again, Solidworks does not really do that so this may not be that big of a deal.

I am still struggling with the best way to arrange my drawings and parts in Solidworks. I would LOVE to get more input on that topic.  At first I tried using the one drawing per part system but it just doubled the number of files I have to deal with. Within each of my projects I keep all parts assemblies and drawings in one folder. I dont reference parts in other folders or libraries to just keep things simple. If I need to use a part that used in another job I detail it over or pack and go from where it was. I usually only use one drawing and all my assemblies and part details go in there. It makes it really easy to be able to print, pdf, pack and go, change drawing standards, export to Autocad format...etc for the entire machine within one file. My biggest fear using the one drawing per part method is printing a drawing of a part that I forgot to delete and dont need and our shop makes it. The one drawing methond allows me to quickly flip though the job to make this wont happen.  I would love to hear more about how all of you arrange your files. Maybe there is a better system I could use.

Thanks again for the help

Kenneth Barrentine

do you revision the parts going into your machine?

if yes, how does your drawing handle the revision field?

do you use a BOM to indicate the items required to build an assembly?

Matt Kirby
                                  I have been setting the revision as independent so the numbering starts over on each sheet. I usually place a BOM on the first sheet and if I have space on each assembly.
                                      Kenneth Barrentine

The independent revision is open for error (forgetfulness) with that much going on in one drawing.

If you have a BOM why would you be concerned that someone would make something not required for the build?

Do you create Engineering Changes (EC) for revised parts?

I could go on and on about the inefficiencies but if your reasons out weigh my points, then so be it.

Pack and Go works great.

Managing one part + one drawing is relatively easy, it's the only way I can work.

I've had situations where a single part required up to 8 -10 sheets.

Kelvin Lamport

I name the sheet tabs per the part/assy description. (eg: Drive Shaft, Primary Lens Holder, etc). No numbers, so it doesn't matter if the tab is moved. However, I rarely move the tab because my sheet number is also the part number; so if I change the sheet order, I have to also change the part number.

I don't follow the logic that a specific part "must" be detailed between two other specific parts. If a part is added and needs a detail drawing, just append another sheet.