14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 5:40 PM by Dave Lelonek

Component Display In Drawings

Dave Lelonek

Greetings All,

I am wondering if each component (within a drawing) can have different display properties as done in assemblies, such as "change transparency"?

In addition to design, I use SW for manufacturing and I often need to display the outline of raw material with the finished part inside. In this case, I would like the raw material to be an outline only so I can see the part within it and also dimension features of one from the other. Currently, I create the raw material as a solid and that's what I would prefer to continue to do (not just lines).

Thanks for your help.

(2010, SP1.0)

• Re: Component Display In Drawings
          Mohamed Abdel Moniem

David,

I believe you can do this from the Display State, you can Create many display State in every configuration click the arrow as in the red circle in the attached photo.

Dave Lelonek
              Mohamed, thanks for your reply but I realize I can do this in an assembly, my question is can I do it in a drawing? I have yet to figure this out.
                  Mohamed Abdel Moniem

yes when you importing the file sin to the assembly you will find all the display state you have created in the assembly listed in the property manager of the view. So all you have to do is to create the display state you want and select it in the drawings for each view on it's own.

Dave Lelonek
                      OK, but what if my assembly has a different display state then what I want my drawing to be, can I simply change the state in the drawing?
                          Anna Wood

David,

You can have more than one display state in a sldasm like you can with configurations.

For part details, create configurations in the sldprt's for the different ways you want to present your view, ex: Finished and Raw Stock.  Then in your slddrw create two plan views of your part.  One view will use the finished part configuration, the other view will be your part in the raw stock configuration.  You can then RMB on one of the views and Align its Origins to the other in the Vertical and Horizontal.  Then set each view to the display type you wish to show.

Cheers,

Anna

Dave Lelonek

Anna,

I opened up an assembly and I modified the component display properties as I like. I then opened my drawing and the items I have set as "transparent" are not transparent.

So, I am wondering if trasparent component display is not allowed in drawings?

Anna Wood

David,

Can you make a simple example assembly with a drawing, zip into an archive and post here.  That way we can check out what you are doing.

I create views with transparent parts all the time on my detail drawings.  Usually on iso views for the slddrw for sldprt's.

Cheers,

Anna

Mark Larson

1st: make sure you are in the proper display state (the same one as you will be using in your drawing) then set the transparency of the individual components how you want

then go to drawing, should be as you want

you may have set the transparency in the wrong display state (not the same as in the drawing),you can check this in drawing by right click, properties, and make sure the correct configuration is selected (same as assembly), if you change transpareny of the wrong display state, obviously it will not carry over to drawing

Dave Lelonek

Hey Mark,

Thanks. I will check that out and let you know.

Thanks!

Dave Lelonek

Thank you all for the help. What I was doing wrong: I had my assembly as shaded but my drawing as hidden lines removed. So, I created a display state in the assembly with hidden lines removed and then changed my drawing to that state.

Again,

Thank you all for the help.

Dave Lelonek

Well,

I think I may have found a bug with this, can someone confirm? Please let me explain a few scenarios:

1) I have an assembly and the default display state has all parts solid w/ outlined edges except two parts that are set to wireframe. In this case the wireframe parts represent raw stock for a part to be machined. The finished parts are located inside the wireframe model. This looks very good in the assembly. See #1

Now, if I go to the drawing and I select default display, and I select display style HIDDEN LINES REMOVED, the wireframe parts show as solids and not wireframe. See #2. If I select display style SOLID WITH EDGES then it shows as wireframe. See #3

2) Now if I select display style as SOLID WITH EDGES I can select entities inside the wireframe solid only if I am zoomed out, if I zoom in I cannot select entities within the wireframe solid.

I need to have the display style set to HIDDEN LINES REMOVED but see my wireframe solid as wireframe and see and select entities frm the solid that is within the wireframe solid.

I think I found two bugs or I am just missing something. any help would be appreciated.