AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dream Machine for Solidworks 2010

Question asked by Pankaj Bir on Dec 20, 2009
Latest reply on May 17, 2010 by Anna Wood

Dear All,

After reading the responses to my earlier post I'm still searching for that elusive dream combination

that will power Solidworks 2010 perfectly.

Really with the number of options available in the market it really is tough putting the ideal workstation together.

Also I've noticed that the mobile platforms are pretty limited in achieving that dream machine status.

Most top notch brands do not offer the fastest mobile processors yet. Maybe the graphic cards simply dont exist as yet.

Even on the workstation front its a little frustrating that the latest Xeon processors or i7's  are not being  allowed to be combined

inspite of the rest of the  hardware being   in place.

The core components for a great CAD workstation are :

1. The processor ; most people in the community are convinced that clock speed is King.

So simply put if your on the Intel platform your'e pretty much looking at two options :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Xeon Single\ Dual Core    :   Xeon  5580   Xeon 5590   3.3 GHz

2. i7 Processor                      :   i7 975 EE                       3.3 GHz  Turbo  3.6 GHz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System :

3. RAM is limited by the Operating System so essentially a  dream machine must operate on the

64 bit versions . My verdict is Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64 bit version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. RAM : Triple Channel Memory with 12GB   RAM at  1333Hz.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Graphics Card : NVIDIA Quadro Series FX5800 with 1.5 GB memory

6. Hard Drives :  Is it Solid State over conventional disk drives ?  Dont know .

Logically solid state drives must be faster. However size is currently a limitation.

In any case maybe two hard drives with data striped across in a RAID 0 configuration

320 to 500 GB Hard drives  at 7200rpm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. A decent HD 27inch LCD  monitor . Ultra Sharp High Definition. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. The mother board of course is paramount since it links everything together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What really is the clincher to that ideal machine that can really deliver at the speed  of thought.

The ultimate machine is really a question of what you are  upto with the software.

This I believe is what must rank as a top ten contender for the ULTIMATE SOLIDWORKS 2010  DREAM   Workstation.

Is the jury out on it ?!!!!!!

Pankaj Bir

Outcomes