4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 3:56 PM by Anna Wood

Thread callouts in 2010

Stuart Moore

When I saw this in the "what's new" document for 2010 I thought 'wow' at last we can put proper standard threads on a shaft and have a proper automatic thread callout (with full thread specs) in a drawing just like I could 5 years ago in Inventor.  Well, I tried it and I cannot get it to work at all.  For a start it appears that you still have to type in the callout in the part document when you insert a cosmetic thread.  Further, you cannot apply a standard thread because if you do, no callout is allowed - the callout box is greyed-out for all standards (only 'none' is allowed).  In the resultant drawing, I can find no mention of a thread callout (the help file says that it is in the shortcut menu).  I suppose this is because there is no callout details in the part.

I have always thought this to be a big hole in SW capabilities.  I would be delighted if I have got this all wrong.

• Re: Thread callouts in 2010
          Harold Brunt
          There are (now) known problems with the cosmetic thread feature. Check out the excellent video that Anna posted within this thread (https://forum.solidworks.com/message/133881#133881) for an idea of some of the problems. I am not sure what you are refering to as far as not being able to insert the callout if using a standard thread. Is the path missing? I had a small problem with the file location being recognized when inserting a standard thread callout even though the path was correct in my options menu. The goofy thing that cleared that up for now was clearing all the dismissed messages in the advanced tab in the options menu. The feature will be nice once it is working properly.
              Stuart Moore
              Thanks for the link Harold - my search didn't find that one.  The problems described in that thread are the same as I am experiencing  I really think SW should be able to apply a proper standard thread to a shaft and then annotate it correctly in a drawing without any help from the user.
                  Anna Wood

The SPR's for this issue are:

SPR 531419 - Adding major/minor diameter variables to cosmetic thread callout in calloutformat.txt file displays metric values for files with English units. The workaround for this is to manually edit the cosmetic thread callout to suit one's needs.

SPR 531416 - Adding semi-colon, forward slash (;\) syntax in calloutformat.txt file for cosmetic thread callouts does not apply a carriage return. The workaround for this is to manually edit the cosmetic thread callout to suit one's needs.

They missed the one about the depth not following the drawings conventions for leading zeros and dimension units of precision.

Be sure to get yourself added to the SPR and also see if you can get them to add one for the depth callout issue.

Cheers,

Anna

Anna Wood

Stuart,

Be sure your file locations for the calloutformat.txt file is pathed to the SW2010 version of the file and not the SW2009 version of the file.

Tools > Options > File Locations > Hole Callout Format File

This may resolve an issue or two.

Cheers,

Anna