8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 9:00 AM by Jeff Walters

mandatory fiels

Nicole Barth

Hello,

does anyone have experience with the handling of mandatory fields in EnterprisePDM?

My question is, because when you have mandatory fields in a drawing data card, you cannot check in these documents, because of the sheet1 tab.

At the moment i solve this problem with min./max. value fields. Has someone a solution or a workaround?

Cheers Nicole 

• Re: mandatory fiels
          Joy Garon

Hello Nicole,

Have you tried modifying the drawing data card, by selecting the control and then set the flag 'Updates all configurations'?

Regards,

Joy

Ajay Baranwal

Hi Nicole

such a right question

i also become frustate with this and finally choose to work with without mandatory field

Ajay Baranwal
              Please propose any solution regarding this
                  Bill Stadler

In my opnion the solution should be having an option to have sheet tabs or not.  If I am not mistaken in EPDM2007 there were none and then because of the BOM stuff added in EPDM2008 they were added.  They cause nothing but headaches and confusion for us probably because of the amount of users.  In the models we fill out the config tabs and not the @ and in the drawing we fill out the @ and not the sheet.

Also if you have one file in EPDM that has the field blank that you are trying to make mandatory it does not allow you to do it.  One file OK but when you have hundreds of thousands  that were migrated in good luck.

We are on EPDM 2008 so this may have all changed in the future versions.  We are planning on updating this year.

Nicole Barth

Hi @ all,

has no one an idea or a workaround for using mandatory fields in EnterprisePDM?

Regards,

Nicole

Jeff Sweeney

Some companies take a different approach. They will make fields mandatory as a condition of a workflow. (i.e. a document can't get sent to the next state until X is not empty.)

The thing I like about this method is that it doesn't force a user to come up with a value if he doesn't know it yet, or maybe isn't even sure that this part is ever going to make it to "prime time". He can play a little looser...then, later, if the part is good to go, then the fields must be filled in before the document can go through his company.

Jeff Walters
                      I'm not sure if this will work in your case. If the default value is text I put a space in the default field. This will put a character in the field so there is information in it but will show as blank on the screen. If on drawings all you use is the @ tab then it shouldnt matter to you what the Sheet 1 tab looks like.