8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 7:27 PM by Nahid Rumana

Enterprise Task Requirements

Calvin Nelson

Does anybody know where it is documented that in order to take advantage of the Enterprise Tasks in 2010 to convert SW files to another format, you are required to have a seat of Office/Premium?

As I was trying out the tasks to have our drawings converted to PDF when we publish them to other departments, I get a "Cannot obtain license for Task Scheduler" error. In the KB (S-017979), it ties this message to needing a seat of Office/Premium, but it's dated 2008 and didn't seem to apply to Enterprise, just Task Scheduler.

Looking at the code for the task, under "Advanced Scripting Options," it doesn't even appear to use Task Scheduler to do the conversion, just the "Save As..."

Why don't they mention anywhere that I'll have to upgrade to take advantage of this new feature?

Thanks,

Calvin

• Re: Enterprise Task Requirements
          Joy Garon

Hi Calvin -

The task scheduler uses a SolidWorks license to perform the conversion.

The KB issue you are referring to is from SolidWorks Task Scheduler and not the Task framework in EPDM.

Have you done the Task Host Configuration? Is there a license of SW available on the machine?

Regards,

Joy

Calvin Nelson

I have done the Task Host Configuration and the license of SW is available. I've watched it run and it opens up SW and then closes down and throws up the error.

My VAR's response was that regarding SW Task Scheduler. I responded to make it clear I was talking about SWEPDM Tasks, but have not received a response on that, yet.

If even the SWEPDM requires SW Task Scheduler, that should be made clear in the documentation on SWEPDM Tasks. Then, I would be able to prepare for asking to upgrade a seat or get to work on writing an add-in.

Thanks,

Calvin

Joy Garon

Hi Calvin -

Sorry, I was unaware of the issue...

There is an SPR open on this.

SPR 528994 - ask your reseller to reference this in the SR.

Regards,

Joy

Tor Iveroth

The SPR in question is 528944  (typo in Joy's reply above).

If you have SolidWorks Standard license on the system - running a task will incorrectly trigger an error: "Error 'Failed to obtain a valid license for Solidworks Task Scheduler' ". 

Enterprise tasks do not rely in any way on task scheduler (even though the term "task" is the same).  The bug is triggered deeper from the SolidWorks API when the Enterprise task opens up the file in the background.  It is planned to be corrected in Enterprise 2010 SP2.

Regards Tor, Enterprise tech support.

Nahid Rumana

Hi Tor,

I',m using EPDM 2010 SP 4.0 but, I get the error message while trying to execute PDF conversion task - "Error 'Failed to obtain a valid license for Solidworks Task Scheduler' " although you said the problem has been fixed in SP 2.0.

Later, I found in the Task host Configuration that the Solidworks Task Add-in service pack is Version 2010, SP0, Build 523 - how is it possible that our EPDM SP is 4.0 but the Solidworks Task Add-in service pack is SP0? I informed my VAR about this and he was surprised to know.

Regards

-Nahid

Ross Bulkley

If you were using the task add-in for 2010 SP0, then upgraded to 2010 SP4 you also need to upgrade to the newest add-in's manually. If you look at pg 223 of the 2010 admin guide it will tell you how to import the print and convert taks. You can import the new one directly on top of the old one.

Nahid Rumana

Thanks Ross.

I have the following reply from my VAR (if any one needs to know the work around):

Quotation

"the problem of not upgrading the Task Add-In has been reported as an SPR.    In other words, upgrading the to SP4, for example, does not upgrade the add-in if there are pre-existing tasks.  So those  tasks will continue to use the out-of-date add-in. 

The workaround, which I admit I haven’t tried myself since I am already on the latest version, is:-

Open administration tool on an upgraded client. Log in as administrator

1. File > open > browse to c:\program files\solidworks enterprise pdm\default data\
                                  2. Load the "Convert_GB.cex" file
                                  3. Drag-and-drop SWTaskAddIn  to the add-ins node (not the convert task).  Select Yes to update the existing add-in. (see attached)
                                  4. Verify via the task host configuration that the updated add-in is loaded
                                    1. 2010 SP0 = 2010000523
                                    2. 2010 SP1 = 2010010616
                                    3. 2010 SP2 = 2010020714
                                    4. 2010 SP3 = 2010030843
                                    5. 2010 SP4 = 2010040927
                                    6. 2011 SP0 = 2011000509
                                  5. On clients that act as task host it is recommended to exit Enterprise and log in again to the view to ensure the updated add-in is loaded.
                                  6. Note that this also applies to other add-ins in an upgraded vault, such as Dispatch. Those can be updated using the add-in node."

Regards

-Nahid

Ben Kalinowski

I realized the same thing - luckily I'm still in my test environment while production is using EPDM2009.

Having other task related problems (my VAR has been quite good helping out) so I haven't got to the point of worrying about 15 seats of Standard being upgraded to Premium (yeah, that's not going to fly).  Maybe just the machine hosting the tasks will need Premium (still shouldn't be required, though).

I wish there had been some visibilty to that before hand - hopefully its a bug that will be fixed (please, SW?)

Planning to move to 2010SP1 of SW and EPDM in Jan., so I hope there's resolution soon.