8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 10:14 PM by Kevin Silbert

Automatic Log off in EPDM

Kyle Strong
      I know there is a default option to have a 30 minute auto log off time due to inactivity but I am wondering if there is an API that would let me choose a different timeframe as well as choosing certain users that I do not want logged off like say our engineers. We have fewer Enterprise licenses than I would like but aquiring more licenses is not an option at this point. So I am hoping there is another option. Thanks
        • Re: Automatic Log off in EPDM
          Jeff Sweeney
          Pretty sure there is not an API to log off. I've looked for it a few times, and sent in an enhancement request even more than a few times.
            There isn't an API solution and Automatic Log Off is all or nothing I'm afraid.
                Jason Capriotti

Is there somewhere in the database to track who falls under this "Inactive" list? I see a login time in the "LoggedInUsers" table under the ConisioMasterDB. There doesn't seem to be a "Last accessed" time anywhere that I can find. Seems you would need that for the system to know who to kick off when the licenses run out.

I'm trying to get an idea of the percentage of the users that are logged in that are "Inactive". That way I have a better idea of license usage so when there appears that no licenses are left, I can see the real number.

Megan Fannon
                Do you use automatic logon to EPDM?  I was concerned about engineers getting dumped out of EPDM as well when using Auto logoff, but I've found that with the auto log on it's seamless and just logs you right back in again when you do something vault related.  (Since you're working locally, you don't lose your work, and as soon as you go to check in, it logs you in.  Similarly if you go to open the vault window, it logs you in.).  I've had zero complaints (about that anyway ).
                    Kevin Silbert

That works fine if you have enough licenses for everyone, but if you don't, and someone is Working Offline when a new file is created, Local Files are created; they can be really hard to find and get into the vault.

There's no search for local files; PDMWE doesn't know they exist.  They only show up in global searches if you're Working Offline.  So (at least in 2008) I find myself having to Clear Local Cache, Work Offline, search for *.* (including subfolders); write down or print out this list of files (ignore the folders), then Work Online, browse to those folders, right Click, and Add to File Vault.  Every bit as annoying as it sounds...

Megan Fannon

We don't have enough licenses for everyone, especially my Contributors (non-solidworks users) - we only have 3 of those and >10 people who share them.  Nobody Works Offline though (at least intentionally).  I guess what's basically happening is that the licenses get "passed around" depending on who is interacting with the vault at any given time, and we have not run into a situation where none of the three contributor licenses were available for Auto Log Off (inactive for 30 minutes).

Edit:  I meant to add that I do understand what you are saying, and yes, that does sound annoying.  Are you intentionally working offline?

Kevin Silbert

"Are you intentionally working offline?"

Yes- sometimes.  And accidentally other times (when people get logged off and no licenses are available when they try to return).  We've got like 4000 folders in the vault, and it is proving quite difficult to find all the local files and get them added and checked into the vault before we do some upgrading this weekend- it's a very timely question you've asked.  I'm glad we've gotten more seats- I'm thinking of turning off the Automatic Log Off so that we get fewer local files.  We'll still get them when people are traveling, but I feel like those are more obvious.