71 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 5:32 PM by Gerald Davis

Handy Hand Tools

Gerald Davis

It is frequently useful to verify that there is access for tools during the assembly of a product.

I am suggesting that you contribute your models of hand tools to this thread.

The attached model is a 3/8" (9.5mm) drive deep well socket with configurations for standard hex sizes from 10mm-19mm and 3/8" thru 3/4".

I thought for several seconds about donating this model to 3D Discontent Central.  Since I seldom enjoy using that website and because I enjoy using this forum, the forum is the benefactor of this effort.

deep3-8drive.jpg

If you have suggestions for more efficient ways to model parts like this, I appreciate your feed back.

Message was edited by: Gerald Davis (used the apostrophe recommened by Depak to fix the underscore reported by Dale and added a "Create Property" manger to allow selecting of the size when inserting into an assembly and added a mate reference for concentricity)

• Re: Handy Hand Tools
          Dale Dunn

That's a pretty clean model. Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't have put the size labels on, but that's me.

I see one of the cells in the DT has a hyperlink in it. Do you know about the setting in Excel's spell checker that prevents it from turning everything with an "@" into a link? That drove me nuts for years.

If someone does extensions or any of the various drives, it would be nice to get some mate references working. That's the only real addition I can think to make.

I'm not clear why you would be opposed to uploading this to 3DCC too. One of its failings is gaps in the library, and this would be an excellent addition.

Gerald Davis

Dale -

Thanks for the tip on settings for the spell checker!

To throw a wrench in the works, this one has configuations for 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8.

I didn't put the size legends in this model.

BoxEnd.jpg

Message was edited by: Gerald Davis (Updated the model to include "Create Property" manager and a mating axis for the box end of the wrench)

David Paulson

Gerald,

Maybe you will post the tool box that you keep these tools in as well????

I'm sure that the sheet metal in the tool box will be something to look forward to.

Dale Dunn

Another clean, efficient model. Where are you getting the dimensions from? IIRC, the data in MH isn't detailed enough for models this complete.

Looking at the design table again, I see you have all the dimensions named. Two questions come out of that:

1. I see you use underscore instead of a space in the dimension names. Have you found a place where spaces in dimension names are a problem or is this a defensive habit? I always wonder if spaces will be a problem. Custom property names, for example.
                    2. Do you ever rename sketches? I sometimes find it helpful when using design tables, because I can't remember what Sketch7 is, etc. I usually name the sketches after the feature, something like "skBody" for a sketch in feature "Body". For the second sketch in a HW hole, I use something like "profDowel".
                        Gerald Davis

...Have you found a place where spaces in dimension names are a problem or is this a defensive habit? Left over from my days using WordStar and CP/M.  Spaces in object names used to really screw up software, so I avoid using them in labels

...Do you ever rename sketches? Yes, particularly when they are not absorbed.  For example some of my electrical components have sketches for the board mounting holes.  I'll rename those sketches accordlingly.  Your suggestion for renaming the sketch for the benefit of equations and design tables has merit, too.

I make the models by (approximately) reverse engineering tools that I own.  The dimensions are what I measure with my digital calipers and verify using various trade manuals and catalogs.  These models may have a silly amount of detail (for example the ball detent groove in the drive pocket of the socket), but I also use the models when creating illustrations for instruction manuals and images for marketing.

Joel Bickel

Bummer I'm on SW2008 so I can't get the models.

I have considered modeling a layout of my garage with all the tools in place so that I could do a search in SW for a tool I can't find.

Gerald Davis
                          Someone on 3DCC reported that the 17mm configuration failed.  I corrected a selection for a circular pattern and updated the attachment both here and on 3DCC.
                          Deepak Gupta

2106 wrote:

I see one of the cells in the DT has a hyperlink in it. Do you know about the setting in Excel's spell checker that prevents it from turning everything with an "@" into a link? That drove me nuts for years.

Just add a ' before you write a link and this will take care of them not turning into link.

Gerald Davis

I donated some of these models to http://www.3dcontentcentral.com

Guess what?  They don't have a category for hand tools.

I know where I put them.  Can anybody find them?

Tom Helsley

Aside from adding an apostrohe in front of the string, you can turn off the AutoCorrect option in Excel as follows (2003 and earlier):

1. Go to the menu, "Tools", "AutoCorrect Options..."
                              2. Click on the tab "AutoFormat As You Type"
                              3. Un-check the option "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks"

Voila!

Cheers!

Steve Calvert

Good idea Gerald.  I know I use the handy dandy Universal Reference Calculator but it would be nice to see the tool as well.

Steve

Gerald Davis

How about a simple one with no configurations?

6_INCH_EXT.jpg

Dale Dunn

A mate references this time, eh? I dare you to make it fully mate with the socket when inserted into an assembly. Do you have the patience to pull it off without smashing your office furniture?

I renamed this one to "3-8 x 6 Extension" to be consistent with "3-8 Drive Deep Well Socket".

I feel guilty for not contributing now.

Gerald Davis

Dale -

1) You should re-down-load the socket and the wrench - they both have mate ref's now.

2) Yes!  Why aren't you adding your stuff?  We need screw drivers, socket drives, hammers, pliers, crescent wrenches, etc.  I have a set of nut drivers but the model is hiding from me at the moment.

3) Feel free to edit and repost variations on my stuff.

Here's a set of ball end hex keys in the inch variety.

HexKeyFan.jpg

John Jablonski

Out of curiosity, is there a way to edit or even look at that design table if I only have MSExcel 2000?

-john

Gerald Davis

John J. wrote:

Out of curiosity, is there a way to edit or even look at that design table if I only have MSExcel 2000?

My guess is that you should be able to open the table, but there may be a version limitation.

Try the following:

1) Click on the Configuration Manager tab at the top of the Feature Manager

2) Right Mouse Button (RMB) on the Design Table to see a context menu (see screen capture below)

3) Select "Edit Table" or "Edit Table in New Window" (the latter is my preference)

Excel should then launch and you're in control of the Design Table.

A 4th option is to select "Save Table" - that allows you to export it into a CSV or XLS format.  If you do that, the spreadsheet you import/open with Excel is not linked to the model.  That would at least allow you to examine the table.

DesignTable.jpg

Anna Wood

Gerald,

I just tried both of those and neither work if you do not have the correct version of Excel installed.

Cheers,

Anna

Gerald Davis

Deepak had suggested installing the Microsoft compatibility tool in another thread...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

It appears to address Office 2007>2003 but may not deal with 2000 - that's pretty anti-Balmer to keep using software that was distributed on 5-1/4" floppies!

Anna Wood

Gerald,

That does not work either.  I have the Microsoft compatibility tool installed on the computer I did the test on so I can open up the Office 2007 files I get.  Even with the compatibility tool installed I can't open or save off the Excel 2007 DT with Excel 2000 installed.

For me, it is not an issue since we do not use design tables in our SolidWorks models.  I also have other computers available with Office 2003 and Office 2007 installed that I can use if needed.

Unfortunately that is no help to John J.

Cheers,

Anna

John Jablonski
                                                          It appears to address Office 2007>2003 but may not deal with 2000 - that's pretty anti-Balmer to keep using software that was distributed on 5-1/4" floppies!

Anti-Ballmer? Who isn't?

But in this case, I'm just waiting (still) for IT to install a newer version of MSOffice.

I've given up, and don't really care anymore, so I've stopped pestering them since I use Thunderbird and OpenOffice for all my computing needs. I can even open the docx files that most people here still can't open. Heh. :-)

And I actually have a 5-1/4" floppy drive lying around somewhere at home. You know, just in case.

-john

Deepak Gupta

34603 wrote:

-john

The best will be to save the DT as external excel file. You can open the hand tool files, delete the DT and reinsert it.

Sorry but I can't open/save the DT becuase of MS office verison. Can some one do it and post the file here.

Anna Wood

Deepak,

On my computer with Office 2000 installed I can't save off the DT, when I hit the save button no file is saved off.

Cheers,

Anna

Deepak Gupta

Thanks for your quick response Anna.

One need to have Office 2007 to open this file and then save as lower version excel file. I have 2003 and can't open or save the DT.

John Jablonski
                                                                On my computer with Office 2000 installed I can't save off the DT, when I hit the save button no file is saved off.

Yeah, I'm getting that too.

That sounds like a bug. The version of Excel that you have should not prevent saving the file out of SW.

Can someone with a newer version of Excel confirm that you can indeed save the file out?

-john

p.s. Who the heck uses XLSX files, anyways? :-)

Gerald Davis

Deepak wrote:

John wrote:

The best will be to save the DT as external excel file. You can open the hand tool files, delete the DT and reinsert it.

Well, here are the Design Tables in Excel 97-2003 format.  To create these, I opened the design table in a new window and saved it as XLS.  When you try to save the table directly from the drop down menu (screen capture shown in an earlier post) it will only save in the XLSX format.

To use the attached spread sheets, open the corresponding model, delete the design table, insert a new design table from the corresponding file.

I still want a way to save SolidWorks part files for backward compatibility - my dream is to run a tool that writes a macro that recreates the steps in the Feature Manager - including equations and feature names.  Then the resulting macro is distributed.  When the distributed macro is run on the target machine, the part is recreated in whatever version the target has installed.

Deepak Gupta

Thanks for these excel files/ DT tables.

Check this link from NIBCO http://www.partserver.de/frame.asp. They offere you 2d and 3d files in form of macros.

John Jablonski

Gerald,

Do you have any control over what format the DT is saved in when you made the DTs? Or does it default to XLSX?

If you do have control over it, could you do me a favor? Could you create a simple part and create a DT the same way you did with those tools? Trying to NOT use XLSX obviosuly tho.

I'm being told by my VAR that it's not a SW bug, but a problem where the object that is created is an Office2007 object, and therefore can't be opened or saved on a machine that does not have MSOffice2007 installed. So, I'm trying to understand the issue a bit better, and would like to know if the filetype matters.

If it does not matter, maybe SW should consider dumping the MSExcel requirement and creating DTs, etc internal to the program (tho obviously still with the ability to import XLS/XLSX, etc). 

thanks,

john

Dan Riffell
                                                                          There is a patch available from MSoft that allows earlier Office versions to open the .xlsx format.
                                                                            Gerald Davis

...Do you have any control over what format the DT is saved in when you made the DTs? Or does it default to XLSX?...

John -

I found this in the Excel help:

In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, workbooks (workbook: A spreadsheet program file that you create in  Excel. A workbook contains worksheets of rows and columns in which you can enter  and calculate data.) are saved as Excel Workbooks (.xlsx) by  default. You can change the default file format to any other file format that is  supported in Office Excel 2007. For example, if you frequently create macros in  a workbook, you may want to automatically save a new workbook as an Excel  Macro-Enabled Workbook (.xlsm). Or, if you work with others who use earlier  versions of Microsoft Excel, you may want to save a new workbook as an Excel  97-2003 Workbook (.xls).

1. Click the Microsoft Office Button Button image,  and then click Excel Options.
                                                                            2. In the Save category, under Save Workbooks,  in the Save files in this format list, click the file format  that you want to use.

I've made that change on my system to use xls instead of xlsx.  Here's a sample part...

Dale Dunn
                                                                      I finally got around to working up a contribution, even though it's such a simple model. Just as I was preparing to post, I realized I could have simply edited the table for your model. Anyhow, here is a metric hex key. DIN 911 lengths, according to Maryland Metrics. The bend and the ball end are guesses.
                                                                      Gerald Davis

A set of nut drivers - 1/2", 7/16", 3/8", 11/32", 5/16", 1/4", and 3/16"

I'm looking forward to a version of PV360 that lets me apply materials to configurations.

NutDriverInch.jpg

Dan Riffell
                                                                        Excellent thread, Gerald.  Here are a couple of models that I use occasionally for scale and interest.  I'm not sure where I got them.
                                                                          Steve Lovell

Hi all

I've been looking for a grease gun if anybody has one.

Steve.

Gerald Davis

Here's a grease gun modeled with SW09.

This might be good for discussion at user group meetings - boundary surface, derived sketch, twisted sweeps, split line, composite curve, surface thicken, virtual parts, path mates, motion study, sheet metal, revolves (speedy rebuild times), when is too much detail too much, variable pitch helix, limit mates, etc.

Perhaps the most important discussion is about the mechanical drawings and Bill of Materials - that's what all this modeling is for, isn't it?

The model has some merit - I'm fond of the handle.  I'm going to suggest it as a model mania contest for our next user group meeting in Denver.

However, this assembly isn't really ready for manufacturing.  That would take a bit more time to faithfully model the threads and verify interference points.

I'd love to see an animation that shows the grease pushing the check valves open as the handle is compressed and then see them reseat upon handle retract.

Grease Gun.png

If you don't need all of the detail, you can simply save the assembly as a part (using the external faces only option) and get something that is pretty gentle on the CPU.

Message was edited by: Gerald Davis on 01/07/10 to update the model - fixed P/N BOM display of rivets; add swage ring on pull handle; corrected over travel on pull handle path.

Gerald Davis

Here's an assembly in SW09 of a hand held lever operated punch - sort of like a Whitney #7.  Handy for making holes in sheet metal.

I've used it in presentations at user group meetings and SolidWorks World for animation studies.  The punch and die parts have configurations for standard sizes in inches.

punch1.png

Gerald Davis

This one isn't really hand tooling, but it is tooling nonetheless.  I'll be using this model during my presentation at SolidWorks World.

The cuteness is that you can open the assembly and drag the upper tool towards the die and see the sheet metal "bend" in real time.

The models for the brake tooling have configurations that are based on Amada tooling catalogs.

You might create a test assembly that includes your sheet metal part and the gooseneck tool - position the tool as if it had completed the bend and note any interference between the tooling and your sheet metal part.  This is a way to verify that your part can be manufactured with standard tooling on a press brake.

BrakeTooling.jpg

Gerald,

Nice tools, I know some places I can use them. you have been busy!

Gerald Davis

During a presentation at SolidWorks World 2010, Franks and Kidder reminded me of new functionality in SW2010 that makes "legends" easier.  The attached 3/8" drive shallow socket is similar to the first 3/8" drive deep well socket example in this thread.

However, the legends are done by configuring the value of the text that appears in the property that is linked to by the sketch that forms the wrap deboss that is the "legend".

That's much easier to set up than the 17 or so "wrap" features that are un/suppressed in each configuration in the deep well model.

shallow3-8drive.jpg

Tom Helsley

Wow, Gerald, it looks like you spend lot of time modeling tools.  I don't know how you made the time for modeling all of the tools.  It's great that all the sizes are configurations instead of separate models.  If I had the time, I would have created some myself.  Hopefully I can contribute something one day.

Thanks!

Gerald Davis

Tom wrote:

..it looks like you spend lot of time modeling tools...

I used to do drugs but now I model simple things to keep from going completely nuts.  Sort of like knitting while waiting for the jury to reconvene.

Time wise, most of these didn't take much more than 30 minutes each.  The grease gun was the biggest project, but it will be the theme for my next tour of presentations at user groups.

I sincerely hope you contribute models.  A set of phillips head screwdrivers that comport with ANSI/ASME B107.12-1997 would be nice.  Hammers, crescent wrenches, crowbar, wire cutters, soldering iron, vice, duct tape, etc. (in metric sizes, of course).

Gerald Davis

A few of the folks who attended my presentation at SWW2010 requested a copy of the animation that I used to explain why a sheet of sheet metal is thicker in the middle and thinner at its edges.  Here's the assembly in 2009 format.  There is a motion study that you can use to make your own movie.

I've misplaced the model that I used to explain coil set.  Gee, I wish I had a better way to search through my backup drives!

coiled sheet metal.jpgSheetMetalCrowning.jpg

Gerald Davis

Here is a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench (I think that's pronounced "raht shay" in French).

I recently wrote a magazine column that included advice to leave room for tooling access.  Tony H. noticed that I had left room for the socket, but not the ratchet.  Everybody is a critic.

So, I made this model to prove to him he was wrong.  He was right.

Ratchet Exploded.jpg

Ratchet.jpg

Dustin West

Thanks for all these models I will see what I can come up with to help out.

Dustin West

Well here is a set of 3/8" Lettering punches that I use to stamp serial numbers in our trailers. I use the combine function with them because it works better then the form tool. But each punch does have the form tools set up if you want to use them that way.

Thomas Paige

Gerald, do you happen to have any models of pliers, wire cutters, needle nose pliers.  I am looking for a way to make shadow boards for a 5S project.  Or do you have any suggestions.  I am a beginer at Solidworks.

Alan Stoldt

Just tagging onto this post. The following are models I've had lying arond, yanked over into SW2012.

Hope they are of use to someone.

Ragards,

Alan

American Beauty_Soldering_Iron_Model_3138.JPG

American Beauty Soldering Iron

Sioux_Drill.JPG

Siouz Air Drill

Gerald Davis

Here's a model that is based on a set of calipers that were manufactured in 1940 by Moore & Wright of Sheffield England.

Their quick-adjust collet nut is clever and not very well modeled by me - the parts are all there but the method of construction is only implied.

In the real deal 1/2 of the collet seems to be solidly swaged to the knurled nut; the other half floats and is trapped loosely in place by swaging.  This lets the leaves spread during coarse adjust and to engage on the screw thread when the collet ring engages. It might be that both of the leaves were supposed to swing and the old dog I have is just stuck.  It still works splendidly after 70+ years.

The knurl was modeled using a wrap / circular pattern / mirror. Edit the model and increase the circ pattern to get slightly more realistic knurl - 56 is cute but slow to rebuild.

The screw thread is also CPU intensive @ 4x0.7mm helical cut - my design goal was good looking bling.

Dimensionally and appearance wise this is pretty close.  It is missing a few stains and scratches...

Caliper.JPG

The attached step file will make all of the parts without the appearances. The SW14 sldasm has the screw mate and symmetry mate so the legs swing nicely.  The spring is not animiated but could be by driving the spring spread dimension with the position of the legs.

Gerald Davis

The attached zip is pack&go SW14 and includes drawings used in illustrations for July 2014 magazine article. - Shop technology and 3-D CAD: Creating the documentation essential to fabrication - TheFabricator.com

CAD tricks include comparison of decal vs modeled tick marks, multi-pitch spring, lead-out thread in the "die cut" thread, ready-to-cast head.

Fig1a -ComboSquare.JPG

Bling for squares!

Gerald Davis

A pair of hair clippers recently made my acquaintance and I used them to create a 3D model that resembles them.

Fig1B - View of clipper handles.JPG

This model is the subject of a couple of magazine articles that will probably appear Oct/Nov 2014.

The zipped file is 16MB, so here's a link if you want to play with the SW14 sldasm.Dropbox - Bressant NO-000 FMA_OCTOBER.zip

(The zipped sldasm holds virtual sldprts for all of the components)

The motion study was created using the explode whiz as a start and then adding fades, camera position

-

I really liked using the Style-Spline sketch tool for creating 3D swoop paths. The boundary surface was nifty for modeling the blade cover. This version of the handles is based on loft technology. I hope to demonstrate boundary surface modeling in the follow up model; this version is very sensitive to small changes in sketched profiles. Among other issues with Version 1.0: The end-caps on the handles are not Lombard-quality (yes, Matt we miss you) and the assembly of the swing handle is not shown accurately - it has to rotate 90° before lift-off. Yes, the reference plane used for floor shadows is off a bit, too.

As fair warning, I plan on writing a magazine column about this. If you help me I will take advantage of that help and thank you and acknowledge your contribution but that's it.

I need help with demonstrating best practices in SW modeling of such components.  I think my model of the blade cover is okay. The thumb handle is mostly okay - that's what will get a Lombard end-cap in the November column. The finger handle model is a brute force struggle and there must be a better way!

It might be fun to discuss the merits of multi-body models (see the wing nut) vs. assemblies (see finger handle and ball pin). When it comes to manufacturing, BOM and piece-part drawings are a big deal - how does multi-body work for you?

Also, I need suggestions with how to correct the animation of the handle lift-off. I like the work-flow of creating explode view steps in the "correct" sequence and then using the wizard to explode/collapse. In this case, I need to override the explode step of the swing handle. Rather than deleting the explode and replacing it with a distance and angle mate, I'm wondering if there is a way to control when the rotation in the auto-created explode step occurs? Or what other trick would you suggest?

Fig6A - Swinging Handle.jpg

Gerald Davis

Letter sized drill bit - 26 config's - demo of surface modeling - used in support of December 2014 Precision Matters.

Fig1 - Jobber length twist drill size Z.jpg

Fig3 - Overview of modeling tasks.png