8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 4:04 PM by Alessandro Frattini

Auto-update of Blocks

Chris Chambers

I'm trying use blocks' 'link to file' feature to update all the drawings containing that block by modifying the block itself.

It looked like this idea works because after I saved a drawing with a block, I modified that block(and overwritten to the previous block file) and the drawing showed the modified block when re-opned.

Then I tried to make a template with blocks so that any drawings created via this template can be changed by changing the desired block file rather than opening them all up and changing manually.

I figured out that I cannot use sheet format as it does not store links. So I created a template to test the block linkage but it didn't really work.

Say I got a template which contains a block with "A".

If I then modify the block in a different drawing and overwrite the previous block file by block "B", the template still shows "A".

If I then save this wrong template as a drawing, the drawing shows "A"- even when it's re-opened, it's still A.

But then If I change the block file into "C", the drawing shows "C".

I'm not sure whether this is a limitation or a bug

How can I solve this?

Chris

• Re: Auto-update of Blocks
          Paul Marsman
          there was/is a bug with templates containing blocks linked to files not updating properly... don't know it off hand or if it's fixed
            Alessandro Frattini

It works fine from ever.

You are wrong something.

I don't use template for each standard.

I created a block for each standard but in format .slddrt that it's a block linked.

Each time I change the block, each drawings that contain this, it's updated.

Have you tired 'File, Save Sheet Format.' with the block in it (but must have the link to the original).

Verify your procedure.

Paul Marsman

Alessandro,

please refer to SPR 410027 that is still open: "Blocks linked to a file in a drawing template do not update after block file (.sldblk) has been changed."

S-019676 says "To workaround the problem, open the drawing template and click on the block to bring up the block's PropertyManager.  From the PropertyManager, uncheck and then check again the 'Link to file' option."

So no, it is NOT working.

Alessandro Frattini

Paul,

have you read my answer ?

I don't use template.

I've only 1 template named Drawing.drwdot, Part.prtdot and Assembly asmdot.

I use A0-A1-A2-A3-A4 .slddrt

My .slddrt contains blocks linked to the original A0-A1-A2-A3-A4.sldblk

Today I change my A3 and A2 sldblk and when I open my old and yesterday drafting, they update to respect my block changed.

For me I don't have problem and I didn't had problem.

I suggest all SolidWorks user, don't use the template  A0-A1-A2-A3-A4 .*dot

My solution are the best, as Chris Chambers would do without luck.

Try before to post the knowledge search result.

The SPR can be resolved.

I've some SPR open, but are resolved or viceversa.

Sometime SolidWorks programmer and QA don't understand perfectly.

Regards,

Alessandro

Paul Marsman

I did read your answer.  What you are describing is not what I understand Chris to be attempting to do, what I believe he is trying to do is not possible do to the bug I listed.  See image as well:

no links.PNG

You even said it yourself, "I don't use template"... what I understand is Chris is trying to save all his blocks into the drawing template and have them linked to the blocks.. this is not possible (again - see image)  I'll say if it what you are doing works for you then I'm happy for you, but I've changed our templates because of this bug... because it doesn't work!

Alessandro Frattini

From Chris :

I figured out that I cannot use sheet format as it does not store links. So I created a template to test the block linkage but it didn't really work.

His goal is use the sheet format .slddrt (best solution) and works.

Your solution doesn't work for a SolidWorks limitation, not a bug (bug and ER have SPR).

Anyway, the template solution it's a bad practice.