2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 1:55 AM by Ahmad Zulker

Using Simulation Pofessional for stamping tooling design?

David Denwalt

In a discussion about what kind of tool to build to produce a part. A question was raised about proving tool design. The issue about subplates was raised, so I sent the assembly file to the VAR.

The profile shape on bottom die shoe is made of A2 tool steel, and is the shape of the part.

The die shoe is made of aisi1020 steel,

Part material is CRS 50,000 tensile, .090 thk. Perimeter is 34.329 in. makes for about 81 tons of cutting pressure. Surface area from the measure command is "Area: 7.4581in ^2."

The 1st Tool suggested was a compound tool

Will the die shoe have any permanent deformation of the surface if the profile shape is bolted directly to the die shoe? as in:

1: Will it imbed into the shoe?

2: Will the imbedding be uniform, or more so at the pointed end?

Will long term fatigue have an effect, as in total strokes for the life of the project?

The VAR suggested upgrading to SW Premium and Simulation Professional, and with some training I would be able to validate the tooling designs to answer any of these types of questions.

What opinions or experience would some one be willing to share about this advice?

We are attempting to change tool design from "Thats the way we always do it" to a more engineered approach, with proof.

I have been employed here 14 years and been in design for about 9 of those years. I was taught a lot of aspects of tooling by my boss, and self taught by reading books, and so forth. I am not a mechanical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, and I am a fan of the thought that software can answer a lot of questions in a short time period. We are on a lean program company wide that has worked well, and are now beginning to look at all aspects of our tooling department.