1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 1:32 PM by David Maxham

Does the global bonded contact apply to sheet metal parts

David Maxham

I have an electronics assembly with many solid parts and sheet-metal parts.  I thought I read somewhere that I need to specifically enter local contacts whenever there is a sheet-metal part that is attached to another part in the model.  So, I've been doing so.

But I tried a simple test with a sheet metal part and a solid part, where I did not specify any local contact and the model ran fine.

So, my question is, is there any requirement that I specify local contacts between sheetmental parts and other parts, or does the global bonded contact condition already apply to those sheet metal parts?

Thanks,

Dave

• Re: Does the global bonded contact apply to sheet metal parts
          David Maxham

I think I may have found the answer to my question on page 338 of the Solidworks 2009 Simulation manual:

"The majority of the interfaces featured in our model represent shell to solid contact type.  It is a rule that local bonded contact is require. Also a shell entity (face or edge) must be Set 1, while faces on the solid components must be Set 2."

I'd appreciate comments to the above and suggestions based on your experiences with sheet metal to solid contacts.

Dave